Florida police rescue 5-year-old missing girl found in Florida swamp after wandering into woods (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/29/florida-police-rescue-5-year-old-missing-girl-found-in-florida-swamp-after-wandering-into-woods-video.html

8 Likes

Great news! And thank goodness for those two brave mice and albatross who helped bring her to safety.

13 Likes

My best friend’s daughter is non-verbal autistic. I lived with them for a few years. One day, when she was probably about 7 or 8, when we were all busy with something, she apparently unlocked the front door and wandered off. We were unaware that she had learned how to unlock a door, even though it had a child proof lock on it. I have never experienced such panic in my life, before or since. We could not find her. Just as my friend was calling the police, our neighbors from across the street came outside, with K in tow. She had walked across the street (thankfully it was a quiet residential street), and just walked into our neighbors house, whose door was unlocked. We had to change the locks to ones that required a key to open, even from the inside. So I can see how this could happen. I’m glad she’s ok.

16 Likes

“Is she ok?”

“Seems to be… wait… what’s that in her teeth? Is that… alligator meat???

11 Likes

Reminds me of this

But glad this girl is ok, i can’t imagine how scary this was for her and her family

3 Likes

Just so nice to sometimes see a happy ending!

4 Likes

When I was really young, I lived in an old farm house in the country. I do have some fleeting memories from that time, but I don’t remember the time that evidently I wandered off and walked about a mile down the road.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, putting what is essentially a really intriguing puzzle on a door is not exactly discouraging for a lot of kids with autism. :jigsaw:

4 Likes

A story with a happy ending.
Thanks, @Carla_Sinclair

5 Likes

Yes, we found that out the hard way. K is extremely impaired in her ability to communicate, almost completely impaired, but she understands more than most people realize, and she understood more than even we realized at that time.

8 Likes

My son isn’t even autistic* (I don’t think—he’s always had sensory issues but not other features) but he is wicked smart. He was maybe three or four when he figured out how to move a huge ottoman all the way down the hall and then unlatch the chain lock. You wouldn’t believe how fast I installed a massive, solid aluminum lock that requires so much grip strength that I actually struggle to open it.

Thankfully he didn’t wander past the driveway. I really feel for these parents. Nothing is more terrifying than not knowing where your child is.

*thought better of my phrasing.

2 Likes

… tangentially related

6 Likes

Wow. That was a story!

2 Likes

I miss Allie Brosh and her work tremendously, and I hope she’s doing well.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.