Florida Republican says vaccination is "the mark of the beast"

may as well, everybody else
does.
:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

When we get to 665 of them, then I’ll start worrying.

Though my phone tried to autocorrect that to 666 so that’s worrying…

16 Likes

I thought credit cards, which you hold in the palm of your hand, and are required* for buying and selling, were supposed to be the numbered mark(s) of the beast.

*cash still accepted for many small purchases, depending on the merchant

7 Likes

Let me check my notes here:

1. fact: idiot calls an injection that is not visible the “mark” of the beast
  2. fact: same idiot wears the big bold name “TRUMP” over his mouth on his mask
  3. conclusion: same idiot must need some help w/ the meaning of the word “mark”
15 Likes

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-does-my-phone-know-my-thoughts-1531680602

11 Likes

I’ve been hearing it, here and there, since high school and I’m in a fully blue state. I distinctly remember a classmate casually/conversationally informing me about how, in the future, “Satan will rule and everyone will get their Mark of the Beast / credit card / tattoo.” (Left unresolved: what sort of credit limit will Satan give me, at what interest rate, and is it affiliated with any airline) Its a deep underlying meme that’s been around for decades if not centuries (but not more than 1 or 2):

The 18th-century American colonials were concerned with Satan, sure, but it took the homegrown evangelicalism of the mid- and late-1800s to pick up and run with this Revelation/Rapture fetishism. I imagine this obsession must be similar to the dead-certainty of early Christians that the world was coming to an end near the year 1000 AD.

10 Likes

Lots of little pokes in a circle about 0.5" in diameter?

That’s the smallpox vaccination. I have the same one.

It’s been nearly 60 years since the jab and Armageddon hasn’t occurred yet, so I guess that Mark of the Beast wasn’t dangerous after all.

16 Likes

There are whole websites devoted to tracking various things - “marks of the beast,” wars and social upheaval, etc. as some sort of index of impending armageddon.

And then any kind of tracking device, including bar codes, became, itself, the mark of the beast. Or anything that could be tracked, e.g. credit cards. In recent decades I’ve been seeing so many things being so labeled that, it’s lost all meaning. They can’t even come up with any sort of parallels with the story, it’s just random stuff they don’t like for political reasons (or because it’s new and they don’t yet trust it).

My evangelical grandmother was a perpetual giver to all manner of religious scammers. She heard a “prophecy” when she was a girl that Jesus was going to come back in her lifetime. She lived to be 100, and died disappointed, presumably. (Though honestly half the reason she made it to 100 was that she was holding on for Jesus.)

With 90% of the shit evangelicals try to claim is the mark, they don’t even try very hard to make it conform to the story. Sometimes they’ll try to stretch things to involve head and/or hand marks or some sort of tracking or maybe just a relation to commerce, but the rest of the time, these Biblical literalists who “don’t interpret” the Bible, suddenly start treating the text as metaphor. Just so they have a “Biblical” reason to dislike something.

So does that mean you type in “666” a lot, or that everyone else does? (I’m now imagining a silent majority of Satanists whispering “hail Satan” into their cell phones constantly, while looking around furtively.) Or does it just mean that autocorrect suggestions are disproportionately determined by the writing habits of edgy teenagers? (Now there’s a disturbing thought.)

But - are you sure? Maybe it happened and we just didn’t notice.

(Somewhere, on a tiny hill in Northern Israel, there was a small kerfuffle that fully enacted a Biblical prophecy - at the scale familiar to people at the time it was written. Which went unnoticed by the global media, as it was such a local news story overshadowed by more significant events happening nearby… like a mustache-growing competition.)

9 Likes

I certainly don’t but somebody thought it worth coding.

I’m now curious as to whether there are Satanists out there, hands free (don’t judge) shouting into their phone autodial “Call Satan. Call… Call Satan. Satan. Call Satan. Goddammit. Call…”

11 Likes

I used to have a prepaid credit card for internet purchases, etc, and the CVV on the back was… 666! Once I gave the card info to a friend, and when I read out the CVV she gasped over the phone.
I always thought it was amusing, but then again maybe it says something about CC issuers and their allegiances.

7 Likes

MAGA

(If this looks familiar, I think I stole it from someone else here on BBBBS)

22 Likes

True, that.
Not many ways to win, either, none of 'em pleasant. Or easy.

They have no problem with a global totalitarian regime as long as they are running things.

11 Likes

Someone laid out the Trump/Antichrist parallels as a bit of a joke, and it’s downright spooky. Good enough that it’s a better set-up than they have in most apocalyptic horror movies for the Antichrist character…

13 Likes

ahem

Amen!

11 Likes

StuartCarlson_sc110114anti

14 Likes

so … fun fact … according to the us revised code this representation of a flag should be “burned” due to its noncompliance with the code. How does a civic minded person burn pixels though?

3 Likes

They believe they have.

The problem is not lack of evidence, it’s that people don’t understand how to judge the quality of evidence. Everyone thinks they are rational and their opinions are evidence-based, but few people understand the difference forming an opinion from evidence, versus forming an opinion first then seeking data to support it. The latter is the default form of human cognition and we all do it most of the time. Unfortunately a lot of people never do anything else, even on the really important stuff.

If challenged for “evidence” a religious person will provide lots- historically recorded “miracles”, nature itself, the existence of love, etc, etc. A lot of silly tropes and not actual evidence, but they are not thinking critically like you are. You and them are having different conversations.

11 Likes

wellll , in the olden times , we had crt monitors and these would ’ burn in '; yeppers , we even had so called ’ screen savers ’ ( which often were viruses or virus infected ) in a vain attempt to avoid pixel burn
how one would do so with modern flat screen lcd ( or led ) display monitors , i do not know

3 Likes

It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

7 Likes

I don’t know but I deleted the file from my computer after using it here.
The flag code sure has a philosophy about it, and I respect that. A testament to the power of a symbol.
You see the same sort of thing in some corporations’ branding guidelines.

It would be a little overbearing to enforce the flag code, but you can still follow it voluntarily to show a sort of symbolic love for your country. You can even show actual love for your country by voluntarily getting vaccinated!

3 Likes