Florida Republicans attempt to chill free speech

Originally published at: Florida Republicans attempt to chill free speech | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Fascism, testing, testing, one two three…

52 Likes

Clearly unconstitutional – at least until the Alito Court gets their hands on the case.

37 Likes

When I lived in Russia, Putin (first time around as president) started passing laws like this. No wonder conservatives love the long table loser so much.

But, really? Anyone who blogs about politics is a lobbyist? That makes fuck all sense, except for the above.

Yeah, that one…

Putin had that one wrapped up, too.

44 Likes

Of course this will not apply to anyone who favorably blows up the right wings precious ass. Those are god fearing citizens who are simply spreading nazi niceties.

24 Likes

Republicans are no longer for free speech, free enterprise, personal freedom, small
government, or fiscal conservatism.

Seems like the only thing they are for these days are guns, hate, and fear.

30 Likes

Don’t forget power (for themselves).

And pwning the libs. Gotta get that joy that comes (for them) from annihilating lesser-thans.

25 Likes

Is it now time to stuff the supreme court?!

I can see where the optics may be not favorable, but how far down this road do we really want to go, even with a favorable party “in charge”?!

15 Likes

No longer? I certainly don’t remember when they were, and I’m no spring chicken.

15 Likes

To this law, what would be the difference between bloggers and journalists?

5 Likes

Would it be wrong to say or extrapolate that this would encourage ISPs to out certain IP or services?
Or maybe thats’s in the next bill.

2 Likes

25 Likes

I hope this encourages thousands of unpaid bloggers to point out that Jason Brodeur is a fascist toadie trying to dismantle the Constitution. He was elected because his district was gerrymandered to pave the way for assholes like him.

9 Likes

I mean at this point they are pretty openly imitating the far right in Eastern Europe.

10 Likes

It was justified when Merrick Garland didn’t get a hearing, and even more so after the lying crusader court scuttled Roe v Wade.

6 Likes

It has been for a couple of years now, but I don’t see any real momentum for it anywhere.

Like the Obama Administration, Biden and Co. are clearly unwilling to rock the boat much.

13 Likes

different bill, different state, same relentless push towards fascism

13 Likes

Not-that-shocked GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

They stopped even TRYING to hide it.

Of course, there is still that pesky “just a piece of paper” constitution thing in the way, and even THIS SCOTUS would have to see it as a 1A violation.

Of course, the performative theatre for the “base” only requires knowledge of one amendment.

5 Likes

i like this “blogger’s” response to Sen. Brodeur:

"I’m not sure I qualify as a blogger, but I often post on the social media site Spoutible. I also had a letter published in today’s Sarasota Herald-Tribune pointing out that Gov. DeSantis’s and Florida Republicans’ nonstop use of state power to punish anyone who mentions facts about American history, Black Americans’ experience of racism, or toleration of or the mere existence of gay and trans people meets the dictionary definition of fascism.

So does your grotesquely un-American, wildly unconstitutional, all-out Nazi proposal to shred the First Amendment and require writers who mention the governor or other state officials to register with the state. You should be ashamed to pretend to hold public office, or American citizenship, and I wish you all the worst. May your life be an eternal root canal.

Sincerely, Eric Grevstad"

i hope many more follow suit in similar fashion.

20 Likes

How do they determine that a blogger lives in Florida, or are they trying to annex the whole Internet?

9 Likes