Florida sheriff bans police and staff from wearing masks on the job

Shit; I just realized my kid has distant relatives in Ocala, on her dad’s side.

Hope they’re okay…

10 Likes

I don’t think so, but in the future there probably will be, after some of us have survived this clusterfuck…

8 Likes

I remember hearing that a few weeks ago with Ice T’s intro about the current situation in America and I just thought it was fantastic

2 Likes

Interesting. That’s probably why I don’t have any friends on FB.

4 Likes

Spoiler alert, police are sworn officers, but not to serve nor protect. In fact, police don’t even have a common law duty of care.

For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_of_Castle_Rock_v._Gonzales

7 Likes

So this is absolutely unfuckingbelievably stupid and honestly, evil.

They need to change their motto from “To Protect & Serve” to “To Kill & Infect”

Waiting for the inevitable stupid castle doctrine stand your ground laws of Florida and visits from cops to intersect, the lawsuits that are going to occur soon will be a criminal lawyer’s wet dream come true

6 Likes

When I start my own restaurant, as owner I’m going to ban my employees from washing their hands. Health codes, local ordinance, and state laws are for other people.

8 Likes

Are all the leaders in Florida trying to just wipe out the state’s population (and themselves) at this point? Are they actually big clouds of COVID wearing human costumes?

6 Likes

It would boil down to court interpretation of existing law, rather than any law specific to epidemics. The law is split into two parts, criminal and civil. There may be an applicable criminal law for it, I’m less sure about that. What is far easier to show is civil liability as the requirements to win a case are much lower (there is no “beyond a reasonable doubt” type requirement like in criminal law).

If this Sheriff’s decision is not the usual practice (it’s not) and one of his officers makes you sick (maybe complicated to prove, but not impossible), then either his organization (police department) or him personally can be liable for the costs and damages. Most likely tax payers will be the ones that pay any settlement or judgement, either directly or through higher premiums of the police department’s liability insurance. No consequences are likely for the sheriff himself.

On the criminal side, there are cases where knowingly infecting someone with a potentially fatal or debilitating illness is assault, battery, mayhem, manslaughter, or murder. Each state has slightly different ways that applies, in all(?) cases it’s a serious felony. OTOH cops regularly get away with each of those offenses I listed.

Theoretically a person could defend themselves from a cop that is doing something illegal when you believe harm could come to you (like if a cop tries to poke out your eyes, you could technically defend yourself). But man, that’s going to be really hard to prove and the court is going to hold you in jail with a huge bail or no bail just on principle that they don’t want people resisting the police. Probably better to go to the hospital or die than to resist…

DISCLAIMER: I’m not a lawyer and more importantly I’m not YOUR lawyer. This has been a layperson’s best attempt to understand the laws I am expected to follow.

2 Likes

By the time Georgia and Florida finish their game of Hold My Beer, those NBA bubble guys are going to step out into the sunshine and wonder why they didn’t hear the nukes go off.

5 Likes

Fuck. That. Shit.

5 Likes

Their attitude reminds me of someone…
pharoah_10cmd

2 Likes

Sheriff is an elected office. It’s a political decision.

2 Likes

That may happen yet. The interval between Nov. 3rd 2020 and noon on January 20th 2021 is horribly long.

2 Likes

California did it for years with its “Agricultural Inspection” checkpoints

1 Like

Coming in hard with that Body Count!

What an amazing band. I’ve had the opportunity to see them only once, and it was at the GWAR-bq.

Completely amazing.

3 Likes

I’m just spitballing here, but maybe people should protest a system where people get fucked over by law enforcement and capricious courts.

But seriously. Amen! Fuck that shit. the system ain’t fair or just when it’s not applied equally to all. To all races, all genders, no special exceptions for special people like cops and elected officials.

I want the system corrected before people really get upset. To do that we need most people on the same page and admitting that the status quo is unacceptable. Failure to fix this soon … well we can check history books to have a pretty good idea of worst case scenarios. I’d rather the streets ran with paint thrown by protesters, the so-called “vandals” and “rioters”, than running with blood like has happened thousands of times before over the centuries.

1 Like

What a maroon. Some people just can’t learn anything unless it happens to them personally. As much as the Sheriff’s Office interacts with all types of people everyday it won’t be long before he reverses this decision.

3 Likes

And such a barbed point it is too.

2 Likes

The sad part is that you probably would have lots of clients, if you spin it right way, i.e. something about owning the liberals.

5 Likes