Florida sheriff bans police and staff from wearing masks on the job

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/13/florida-sheriff-bans-police-an.html

6 Likes

Cue the viable lawsuits for reckless endangerment and what amounts to criminal negligence.

39 Likes

… that will be litigated with the defense using Florida taxpayer money.

SMH

Hiaasen has called Florida “the poster child of nationwide dysfunction”

24 Likes

Probably some other grounds there, too, seeing as, unlike a shop that can choose who to admit or serve, I’m not sure a public service gets that privilege.

“Yeah, they stopped me reporting the dead body / giving myself up / coming forward as a witness to this heinous crime merely because I was wearing a mask.”

25 Likes

Sheriff: “I’ve got some good news and some bad news. There won’t be any layoffs this year, but you are all going to die. Carry on.”

30 Likes

So now we’re at a point where the police can’t cover their faces to stop a pandemic but can cover their badge numbers to stop an investigation.

61 Likes

Like those that still worship at the alter of trump, the same people (mostly) have made up their minds about the pandemic and wearing masks. Until thousands of children are dead or end up with a life long debilitation from COVID because of unrestricted school openings, nothing will change. And even then I have no faith at this point that reason and logic will overcome irrational fear and willful ignorance.

15 Likes

His name is Billy Woods?

Maybe he thinks history will absolve him.

bwdz

2 Likes

The fine folks down in Ocala, Fl know that the most important part of safety is appearance. This is why the sheriff’s next order was to prevent locking of doors so that everyone would know that there was no danger of burglary. Also seatbelts will not be allowed, lest people fear that there is a danger of crash. Once we have all become sufficiently blind to the dangers, they go away. Thats just common sense

30 Likes

“In addition, 43 sheriff’s office employees and more than 200 inmates at the Marion County Jail have tested positive for the coronavirus so far.”

I’m surprised they’re not doing more to make sure the inmates stay alive. After all, that’s their source of income.

14 Likes

You think a mess of dead children will change these assholes’ minds? Parents of the Sandy Hook victims will respectfully disagree.

30 Likes

It’s a death cult. It’s doing the things that death cults do.

25 Likes

So I read this story because frankly I was shocked that the public office sworn to serve and PROTECT the public would rather put them at risk and one is the main reasons he’s doing this is because he’s b*TT hurt about police backlash. Our public servants folks

17 Likes

Good point. It would have to actually be their children to matter because screw everyone else.

3 Likes

The fact is, the amount of professionals that give the reason why we should, I can find the exact same amount of professionals that say why we shouldn’t,” he said in his email.

Liar. Lying liar.

11 Likes

Smacks of Trumpian loyalty test.

9 Likes

“Blue Lives Matter in some ways but not others!”

13 Likes

To serve and infect…

23 Likes

I’m happy to see you trying to help abolish cops, Mr Woods, but there are probably safer ways to go about it.

12 Likes

Officer, I believe you’ll find that for every so-called “expert” who believes drunk driving is dangerous, you’ll find an equal number who have found that a few cocktails improves performance. Here’s some literature from the Dewars Institute you may find interesting.

18 Likes