Florida teen poses as doctor, opens office, and examines undercover agent

Anyone know if this would have been legal had he left the PhD off his adverts?

3 Likes

Practicing medicine without a license is illegal even if you don’t specifically state that you have a specific degree. So it depends on what he actually did. But if he was either claiming to or actually performing any activity what would actually be considered medicine, then it would certainly be illegal. If all he was doing was woo and he didn’t claim to be doing any specific medical procedure, then there might be some wiggle room, but if he was attempting to fool people into believing he was an actual doctor, even if he didn’t actually say the words “MD” or “PhD”, then I think it would still be illegal.

2 Likes

Not to mention, there actually are many state-level certs that are required even for holistic medicine like chiropractic, etc.

2 Likes

Grifting and scamming are difficult activities, only for the creative and hard-working. That’s why there are so few grifters and scammers.

This is what happened when kids watch too much of The Pretender and Dollhouse.

Perhaps he merely needs the right mentor…

Governor? Senator?
[No offense intended to Ex-Governor “Skink” Tyree]

2 Likes

Or not. Our lab used to have a pathologist who insisted on reviewing case files after the transcriptionists did their thing. We ended up taking away his “edit” capabilities because he’d go in and “correct” the transcriptionist’s spelling (which was invariably perfect; it’s what they do!) and misspell common words. For a while we started quietly reverting his changes, until Compliance decided that wasn’t kosher. After that, we gave him his own “comments” field where he could go to town and look like an idiot without the rest of our staff looking stupid. Fortunately for everyone, he ended up getting fired over a different issue.

5 Likes

Yeah, seriously. It seems like anyone who went to him having read the description of his practices was getting exactly what they expected - and deserved.

Now that’s some mentor-ship I would highly approve of! :slightly_smiling:

He is, it seems, already on his third or fourth chance. This time he went to the trouble of mailing away for a certificate from the American Association of Drugless Practitioners (“a group for holistic health professionals including herbalists and other so-called drug-free practitioners”).
Life is SO DIFFICULT for con-men.

[quote=“anotherone, post:21, topic:73925, full:true”]
Anyone know if this would have been legal had he left the PhD off his adverts?[/quote]
Sounds legit!

Mr. Love-Robinson said that he had received a Ph.D. in another field from a “private Christian university,” but he refused to name the institution or the field in which he received the degree.

1 Like

That’s unfortunate, perhaps not unsurprising. Still i think the general sentiment of my previous post applies, even to most convicts. If there’s a chance to reform them then they should be given and presented with chances, and given the means to change. Jails do have programs for this, but honestly the judicial system is built to bring those offenders right back in and past decisions never ever go away.

I have a friend that was wrongfully accused of something, and has a record that will stay with him for decades to come. And for those upcoming years he will be considered a criminal despite any personal progress he can show to the law. This probably doesn’t entirely apply to the kid in the article, but i hope he gets help before he wastes his life away in the system.

2 Likes

Heaven forbid that I should question the punitive, blood-lust principles underlying another country’s traditions of incarceration.

I had no problem with your post :slight_smile: Sorry if it came across the wrong way

examines undercover agent

If nothing else, this story has given me my favorite new vagina euphemism…

OH! Florida!

1 Like

I should apologise in turn, at the risk of turning a comment-thread into a cesspool of civility. I am really taking issue with Joey Devilla, and his belief that lying to people to take their money requires special skills and creativity; that this specific young man is a great but misdirected talent, waiting to be brought back to the Side of Good.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.