Florida woman, missing for days, found alive locked in shipping container

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/09/florida-woman-missing-for-days-found-alive-locked-in-shipping-container.html

10 Likes

Kinda feels like there might be much more to this story?

27 Likes

The assertion that she may have locked herself in seems false to me.

We use shipping containers on jobsites for long term storage of materials and tools, and any containers I have seen are impossible to close from the inside.

You could pull the door shut most of the way, but the locking bars and swing arms are on the outside, and cannot be operated through a closed door.

However, there may be a shipping container design I am not familiar with, that allows the door to be locked from the inside. Although, if you could engage the locking bars and swing arms from the inside, surely you could then unlock them and not be trapped in the container?

https://containerauction.com/read-news/can-people-get-stuck-inside-of-shipping-containers

10 Likes

The claim is not that she locked herself in the container, but that she was in the container for some reason, and did not make her presence known when Mr Sonnenberg came to lock it.

Sonnenberg theorises that she wandered into the container (for some reason) and then “passed out” (for some reason), and it’s her fault for being there (whatever reason she could have had for being there in the first place).

He claimed to have found a lighter and pipe inside after she left on Thursday.

Finding them in the same place is exactly the same as proving that they are hers, you know.

I can’t see that anyone has given Ms Lopez’s version of events.

11 Likes

One time I was getting ready to lock up a shed with an open door and the police stopped me because they wanted to be sure no-one was in there. So I think it was part of their training. They actually couldn’t get in because their utility belts :slight_smile: so I went in to check. Anyway, good practice. Check for stray cats and people first.

10 Likes

Worked for a catering company that was accessed by elevator from the loading dock. The policy was to never leave the elevator at the dock, but one day someone forgot. A homeless guy got in and was hiding in the walk-in freezer as the crew was locking up-which included locking all of the walk-ins with padlocks. They heard the guy banging on the door just as they were about to leave. Dang near got to be a corpsicle! We were extra vigilant about the elevator after that.

11 Likes

The cops stopped you from closing your shed?

1 Like

Poor Florida woman, usually outshone in the press by Florida man.

2 Likes

it is, sadly, ever thus. it’s a man’s world, after all :roll_eyes:
even in shenanigans, women can’t catch a break.
/S

Sort of I guess. I looked out the window and there were some cops standing around the shed and the door was open. It wasn’t in a fenced in yard and they wanted me to secure the shed, it was unfenced in a commercial part of town, but they wanted to make sure nobody was inside first. I went inside and checked and reported it contained no people or pets, and they were happy to let me close it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.