Florida woman arrested for attempting to make a bomb inside Walmart using items from the store shelves

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/15/florida-woman-arrested-for-att.html

5 Likes

We live in a place where people are treated such that they end up feeling that doing this seems as good as doing anything else.

9 Likes

Leave no Florida Person Behind.

4 Likes

Let me update my list.

Build a siege engine inside Home Depot.

15 Likes

What kind of monster attempts to construct a bomb without paying for the components first? This is worse than those people who walk through the produce section munching on the nuts and grapes.

18 Likes

Aside from the “natural” produce/meat/dairy section, I bet most Walmarts carry the necessary ingredients to create bathroom explosives for any occasion, if you get my meaning. :wink:

8 Likes

Sees Florida Woman on title

Yeah that checks out…

2 Likes

17 Likes

You know, since Trumped moved to Florida officially, we can now change all his headlines to “Florida man…”

19 Likes

i don’t know about the US but unfortunately they don’t sell sulfur-paper, sodium chlorate and nitrate in supermarkets here anymore. So you have to resort to Floridanism, which isn’t the same fun like it used to be.

This is actually genius-level terrorism. Make your bomb while you’re in the store. No receipts, no paper trail. That’s what tripped up McVeigh.

2 Likes

On the one hand, she was building a bomb that could have hurt many people, including a child.

On the other hand, she spit on some cops.

It’s a wash as far as I’m concerned.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/3586c6a3-68c4-495a-b77a-3a93f64761cd

15 Likes

Tremors not MacGyver? Definitely :+1:

7 Likes

I suppose the only thing that stops this from happening more often is a lack of know-how. A bucket+ammonia+bleach would get people moving. But perhaps it is best not to speculate.

2 Likes

It was pretty fun. I never watched the sequals.

4 Likes

Curious if her purpose was just mayhem or theft. I wonder because this happened in a relative’s one-WalMart town: some jackass loaded a cart with stuff he wanted to steal, parked it near the front of the store, then loaded another cart with flammable items, pushed it into the linen section and set it on fire. Genius was sure he’d be able to just walk out with the cart full of stuff during the evacuation. He wasn’t. Went on to rob another place later in the day, and then the WalMart recovered the tapes of his entire brilliant scheme from the cameras that are all over the place in the store.

While I’m not sympathetic to this particular moron, in the general sense it occurs to me that WalMart’s entire success is built on abusing monopsony power on suppliers to provide shoddy goods cheaply enough that workers whose wages have stagnated for decades don’t revolt. If those workers are getting desperate enough to try such shenanigans in the very store designed to keep them complacent, it’s a good sign that the strategy has reached its natural limit, because even the crumbs from the master’s table have become too expensive for the rabble.

2 Likes

One of the best movies ever.

1 Like

UHF did it first:

What aisle is that on?