Florida youth voter registration up 41% since Parkland shooting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/22/americas-largest-swing-state.html

15 Likes

These young people, organised and empowered by the Internet and having the demographic numbers, may sieze their momment and finally do what previous generations couldn’t and finally establish common-sense gun control laws in FL and the U.S. If in the process they reduce the power of the party and politicians most in thrall to the NRA so much the better.

The kids are alright.

34 Likes

Hopefully we will see more of this nationwide. The current political climate of “The poor are too rich and the rich are too poor” is killing the American dream. It is shocking to see so many people voting against their own interests in order to punish their political rivals.

19 Likes

Increases in Florida, Pennsylvania & Virginia? Doesn’t bode well for the 2020 electoral college for Republican’ts- or for them facing a 2018 blue wave.

12 Likes

Killing the “American Dream”?

I don’t think it’s ever even been alive.

16 Likes

I want to put that on a t-shirt

3 Likes

Attention young people, women, people of color, people who are sane, people who are kind:
GET YOUR ASSES TO THE VOTING BOOTH AND SAVE THIS COUNTRY!
That is all.

6 Likes

Attention men - wake the frak up.

9 Likes

No doubt their “It Ain’t Cheatin’ Iff’n We Say It Ain’t Cheatin” crew is already working on ways to make sure those kids never get into a voting booth.

5 Likes

Oh, by the way, we raised the voting age to 30.

6 Likes

A constitutional amendment may take a while.

5 Likes

Your quote - who said that? It’s pithy.

1 Like

First use, according to teh googles

2 Likes

SEE! It’s exactly as they told us it was! Parkland was a false flag operation with crisis actors paid for by George Soros to increase those commie Democrap’s voting base!

(I shouldn’t have to say this is ridiculous, but there are actually assholes out there who would believe this, so /s I guess…)

3 Likes

I wonder if there is a word that means “utterly exasperated sarcasm”; exasperasm? Sarcsperated?

1 Like

What gets me quite excited, is that people of colour, or young people, turning out in force would be more than enough to stop the current shitocracy in its steps. And by god they’re motivated like never before.

Of course, that’ll just mean the right backlash will be even more ridiculous than last time, and how to do you follow up “devout racist as response to black president”? I mean, there’s only so far into the bottom of the barrel you can actually go before you run out of barrel.

3 Likes

Yeah, hard to see how a “Vote or Die” campaign could really falter.

Let me know what it’s called when you figure it out because it’s my only refuge from the shitshow that is modern politics at this point…

1 Like

I thought it would be Puerto Ricans moving to Florida that would swing the state Democrat. I’m happy to learn that several other demographics are also in play.

1 Like

Yeah I bet this scares the pants off of a lot of different groups. Want change? Exercise one vote one person.
Participate people. Apathy got us to where we are today, and if you really want change this is how to start!

3 Likes