Floridans can record conversations with cops without their consent

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/23/floridans-can-record-conversations-with-cops-without-their-consent.html

7 Likes

16 Likes

So… time to buy a tripod, Floridians!

11 Likes

and a parabolic microphone.

11 Likes

I wonder if iPhone users can successfully capture 25’ away audio sources using their audio zoom.

5 Likes

“This call may be recorded for quality control purposes.”

6 Likes

In UK it is often that, or monitoring and training purposes, or regulatory purposes. All fit just as well.

One company I called recently had the delightful - and delightfully brief: “We record all our calls so we can get better at them.”

8 Likes

…and a seat stick.

6 Likes

Great, now do politicians next.

I’ve never understood why politicians aren’t required to give up at least some aspects of their personal privacy as a prerequisite of office. They’re public servants, and as such should be available to be scrutinized by said public.

4 Likes

Why do cops try to stop anyone recording in public? No one has an expectation of privacy in public, least of all public servants. No matter how many times brass tell them this it never sinks in.

1 Like

Because they can, basically. Let’s say they take your phone because you were recording them. You now have to go through a whole lotta crap to get it back. Meanwhile, there is little, if any, cost to the officer for doing that, even if the officer took your phone illegally.

I’m guessing this ruling won’t really curb police behavior about people filming them. You generally cannot sue police individually (qualified immunity), so if there is a problem, it lands on the city or county to pay up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.