Flour wins in this table listing foods by calories per dollar

I do have quite a number of asian grocery stores by me :slight_smile: I haven’t tried making ramen from scratch but it’s probably more effort than i’m willing to put into it right now but eventually its something i’ll likely explore. For now i’ve been learning vegetarian Indian recipes :grinning:

2 Likes

you want this other set of charts I think
https://efficiencyiseverything.com/food-nutrition-per-dollar/

6 Likes

I was an art student at a competitive engineering/CS-heavy school, so I’ve deffo encountered my fair share of arrogant engineers (Bonus! My dad was one as well! And has since gone on to vote for both Trump AND Brexit with his dual citizenship with his truly great mind!). Also, obviously, had lots of great friends who were wonderful people in the engineering program. But the combo of pragmatism, positivism, and white male confidence/arrogance is definitely a toxic brew (come to think of it, my closes engineer buddies weren’t white dudes…).

1 Like

The typo about ‘median’ is mean? I have a central reservation about that. (UK terminology joke.)

3 Likes

For ease of breadmaking (and toasting deliciousness), it’s hard to beat shokupan.
http://www.dreamsofdashi.com/shokupan/

3 Likes

Many people in the UK were better fed (as in ‘had a healthier diet’) during WWII food rationing than before the war years. Infant mortality rates declined, and the average age at which people died from natural causes increased.

4 Likes

8 Likes

My group in school was all Computer Science, and we found the engineers pretty tedious. They would go on and on about how everyone fails all the tests so badly that they have to curve it up 50%. I recall thinking “that sounds like a really broken curriculum, not a point of bravado”.

6 Likes

I’d love it if that Leanne Brown cookbook was available with metric measurements for ingredients. (Plus, I simply cannot wrap my head around measuring ingredients by volume rather than weight.)

4 Likes

8 Likes

Irony: having a kitchen with a variety of measuring cups and spoons, but no scale, I can’t imagine not measuring foods by volume when I cook. (Well, more precisely, measuring foods by weight; most of my cooking does not involve measuring any ingredients!)

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve started annotating my recipes/cookbooks with weights whenever I make a recipe. It’s a bit of a bother, but for that specific book I’d say it’s worth it. She has really flavorful stuff, and combos that I wouldn’t have thought of on my own, even though I’m relatively creative in the kitchen.

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess it’s a culturally ingrained thing. Kitchens without scales are not viable as kitchens. As for sticks of butter - do not get me started. If I want 15g of butter what fraction of a stick of butter is that? US cooking measurements drive me to apoplexy. You may be the same with weights.

7 Likes

I must never had a kitchen in my life. Curse my cooking by feel and taste

2 Likes

Close to 1/8. Us butter sticks are usually 113.4 grams. It works out evenly with the rest of our bananas measurement system.

You guys have a measurement system for BANANAS!?!?

Of course you do. I should have guessed.

Close to does not cut it. What proportions of a stick are 10g, 15g, 20g? Grams are so wonderfully precise. This may account for the hugeness of US food portions. You cannot cook with less than half a stick or a whole cup. Everything gets scaled up too much. :wink:

2 Likes

In the US, most butter sticks are marked on the wrapper for slicing off a set number of spoons.

So, in markets with reasonable measurement systems, do they have lines for cutting off a certain number of grams of butter?

(I’m also thinking that converting recipes would be hard, since the rounding required for the imperial system is going to leave weird measurements in metric, and vice versus. Not to mention variations in density of a lot of common products… I mean, European butter is significantly different from US butter anyway…)

2 Likes

ROFLMAO

Butter in ‘spoons’!!! How many spoons in a stick? You’re making this shit up now. :wink:

How so?

Sad to see that “Ego waffles” were so far down the list.
That’s ok, I eat them because they help my self-esteem.

1 Like

Well that took an unexpected turn. I wanted to make a funny “LEGO my ego” joke, but according to the urban dictionary:

1 Like