Flour wins in this table listing foods by calories per dollar

Butter “sticks”, while the same size, are different shapes on the east and west coasts of the US. They’re short and stubby in the west and long and skinny in the east.

Not sure where exactly the line is, probably either the rockies or the Mississippi? There are some other strange food product differences, like the mayo brand known as Best Foods in the west and Hellman’s in the east.

2 Likes

Figures.

1 Like

Right. Got it.

8 ‘spoons’ in a ‘stick’. 2 ‘sticks’ in a ‘cup’.

16 tablespoons in a cup I could just about get - both being usable liquid containers.

But putting sticks in the middle there is just …

proxy-image99

Like I said earlier:

And there ain’t no accounting for culture. We’re all weird to those from somewhere else

2 Likes

According to Randall Munroe, “in dollars per calorie, the cheapest energy sources in the supermarket are refined sugar, oil, and shortening”. Recipe possibilites are a bit limited, though.

2 Likes

I squash the dough down to make more sandwich slice loaf dimensions after the machine is done kneading. Seems to work fine - good time to put on the seeds too.

2 Likes

Yup. We buy butter in 250g packets and there are lines on the side in 50g increments.

3 Likes

This may not be an intention, but most certainly it is an outcome.

(you made a wonderful quote, by the way)

1 Like

I’ve made ramen from scratch,
It was not difficult.
Remember to used slaked soda to get the right springiness in your noodles.

2 Likes

An argument from a coworker was that if we in the US were to switch to metric they’d have to sell butter in 454g packages instead of 1lb packages. Made perfect sense to him.

6 Likes

In the early days the Clash often went hungry. Once, after a long night spent putting up posters, Paul Simonon heated up the remainder of the flour and water paste on a rusty blade and ate it.

2 Likes

The kinkiest thing I have heard about doing with Legos is making people walk on them. But how much of a sadist are you?

I’m pretty sure it hurts less to do the urethra thing.

2 Likes

You forgot “diabetes” and “obesity.”

I actually learned this at work yesterday. Gotta make sure the dairy shelf in your fridge can hold either size!

4 Likes

At around $2/gallon, gasoline (30,000 Kcal/gallon), is about 15,000 cal per dollar, beating flour by a factor of five.

Kind of makes you wonder how biofuels will ever be price competitive without the price of oil going up by a factor of 5.

5 Likes

Ahaha, perfect. xkcd is such a national treasure and I appreciate your remix greatly.

2 Likes

Once you throw in flour, though, you get cake! (Not a good cake, but cake nonetheless.)

2 Likes
5 Likes

I made an ox tail ramen from scratch a couple weeks ago. Took all day, but it was worth it.

3 Likes

I was blocking that whole thing with Urban Dictionary and Lego my ego conversation sub-thread from my memory this morning, sat down, and saw that blurred photo and was like… well, it just really confused me for a minute… lol

I really miss caffeine some days…

1 Like

A pub here serves Bulldog beer in 0,56 l glasses and Paulaner in 0,5 l glasses.
Because Bulldog branded glasses are from UK, Paulaner branded ones are from Germany.
You can sell both metric and imperial at the same time!

3 Likes