Flyover Country is an app that makes the window seat worth it

Don’t worry, Texas isn’t Midwest. It may be West, but mostly it is just Texas. Large enough and strange enough to be a region of its own.

1 Like

Guess I could just bypass it. Give it back to Mexico or build a wall around it that Texas will have to pay for.

2 Likes

Pretty much. Last time I flew I ran a gps logger and this is the route my phone thought I took as we flew from Anchorage to Chicago:

Airplanes are big metal cages moving very fast and it’s hard for the phones to hold onto a gps signal through a tiny little window. I’m pretty sure my phone never actually got a gps signal. The location on my phone would stay stationary for 20-30 minutes, then suddenly jump to a new location and sit there for a while. My best guess is the phone was doing geolocation via the plane’s wifi and as it transferred between terrestrial towers I’d get a sudden update. It would bounce around a bit in more populated areas too, but always to specific points.

United had something like that the last time I flew with them. It was the only really good thing about United.

1 Like

Every airline I’ve flown in the past 15+ years has had seatback screens with live route mapping. Granted, that’s a sample size of ~4, but they were all domestic coach, not Emirates Zeroth Class or anything.

Maybe your pilot was having a fit.

I like to fly Alaska (and I don’t fly all that often). I guess Alaska just doesn’t have them? :confused:

A lot of that probably has to do with the GPS receiver, and more importantly the GPS antenna in your phone, being of low quality. Balint Seeber had given some good presentations on software defined radio, and has done some nice traces of flights he has been on. He uses a laptop with an external antenna though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.