Focus on the Family's Singapore sex-ed class promotes rape, bigotry

Read the comments her friends posted to her original post too.

Impressively if naively open-minded, willing to consider that the religious organization might not be pressing its agenda because it took pains to exclude mention of religion itself.

So delightful, thankfully the will probably follow Tam to the FotF website where they will learn that the org always follows its agenda even when social engineering outside the context of religion. Those kids are whiz-bang, they won’t be fooled for long.

2 Likes

Am I the only one who found this amusing?

It’d only be amusing if it weren’t actually true. As it stands, a conservative christian organization is currently being allowed to proselytize and teach misinformation in this Singapore college as if it were valid relationship information. “Focus on the Fuckwits” as @teapot so elegantly put it are hell-bent on deploying a dominionist agenda in as much of public and private life as they can get away with (bad pun intended.)

I don’t find this situation funny at all, I find it alternately sad and frustrating that these students are being cheated out of a decent sex-ed class, and horrifying because these dominionists are gaining traction and need to be stopped before they implement the christian equivalent of sharia law.

9 Likes

FotF would have you believe that guys are slaves to their hormones

Then perhaps James Dobson should not be allowed to have small boys in the shower with him.

1 Like

OK thanks so this guide is a wonderful compilation of advice to propagate around the nation of Singapore and make sure everyone is happy and safe.

Come, fellow Singaporeans
Let us progress towards happiness together
May our noble aspiration bring
Singapore success

National Anthem - Majulah Singapura.

Actually, I’ll give them points for honesty. It does say “fellow Singaporeans”. No mention of girls and ladies.

Isn’t there a law that forbids FotF from being within 2,000 feet of schools? There certainly should be.

1 Like

Does Florida have big signs up explaining to drug smugglers that they will be killed?

1 Like

I’m most familiar with Focus On The Family’s anti-gay campaigns. I guess having lost so badly here in the U.S. they’re branching out.

1 Like

In Florida it’s a surprise!

But then, in Florida, I’m pretty sure anyone can just kill you, regardless of what you are doing, and that’s pretty much okay.

3 Likes

Do I know you from youtube comments?

From the Facebook post:

The booklet states that “Many guys feel neither the ability nor the responsibility to stop the sexual progression with [girls]”, and thus they “need your help to protect both of you” (page 28).

She also posted a picture of the page containing that quote (under the helpful heading “Guys are all out for one thing”): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=741950519218323&set=pcb.741950835884958&type=1&theater

Oh lighten up. Being grumpy doesn’t help anyone.

I agree with AT’s point that this kind of book is insulting and indirectly supports rape culture, but this page and the cover are not quite as blatant as is made out. FotF is against premarital sex - they aren’t saying that it’s her fault if he forces himself on her, just that in the context of a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, he may be less willing to wait for marriage. The booklet takes it as read that this would be a Bad Thing, but she shouldn’t assume that he will be as convinced about that. Likewise, the front cover is not saying “she said no, but she really meant yes”. It’s the kind of folk knowledge that ‘guys and gals’ can’t understand each other because those crazy hormones get in the way that you’ll see on any number of Facebook posts. AT rightly points out that assuming that women are incomprehensible lessens the respect that you have for what they say and could lead to men assuming that she wasn’t really serious when she said no.

One of the big problems with this is that even if you agree with their opinions, they assign practically no responsibility to the guy. Listening to someone share their problems rather than immediately fixing them and sending a few texts to reassure someone that “we’re OK” is better than not doing that, but it’s really superficial and takes hardly any effort or commitment. The girl may be told that sex outside marriage has serious emotional consequences, but the guy is practically told that this is one of those hangups that girls have. She wants to feel more emotionally secure as the physical relationship develops, but a 30 second voicemail message should take care of that problem. He’s told that he should be careful about his “visual choices”, but that’s in the context that nobody would blame him if he did stare at another woman. I mean, what was she thinking by walking past while scantily clad? :smirk: Rather than saying that men are particularly susceptible in this area and should show more responsibility, they put the responsibility on the woman - both infantilising the guy and asserting his dominance. If the woman is pressurised into having sex against this kind of advice, she is more likely to feel both violated and guilty, while he can excuse it because acting on sexual urges just shows that he’s a man with a pulse. The (s)he said/(s)he meant could have been a way to remove some misunderstandings in relationships, but it’s just one-sided and sounds like this. Even if you were to accept the conservative Evangelical perspective, this is all pretty terrible advice.

My upstairs neighbor blast Focus on the Family radio a couple mornings a week at like 7am. I can’t hear the words (except the couple of times I pressed my ear to the hot-water pipe to hear what they were moaning on about) just a bassy, incoherent mumbling (really, you need you 5.1 on to listen to this crap?). The dripping condescension and faux concern comes through loud and clear though, and the sad, bizarre background music is downright creepy. I can’t imagine subjecting myself to a daily thorough talking-down about the all the ways I could fail to make my husband faithful.

Needless to say I now have a 200 pack of the best earplugs on the market…

1 Like

Probably the speaker is located in one room, and the listener not quite in another. The bassy notes is probably a side effect using a speaker that’s too small to reproduce a baritone without distorting into a mess of low frequency noise,

Accurate, succinct: a perfect summary of FotF.

It’s amusing because we’re adults and know this shit for what it is. It’s not amusing when we remember this is being presented as fact by authority figures (teachers) to children in school, who presumably have to answer “correctly” on any tests in order to pass the class.

4 Likes

Thinking this is funny helps people how?

1 Like

It helps me. My blood pressure stays lower if I don’t get all worked up over things that I can’t or won’t fix. If getting worked into a tizzy over every disturbing thing you see on the Internet makes you happy then god bless.

Can’t or won’t fix. Well isn’t that special?