Folks on TikTok are discovering that their improperly-washed Stanley tumblers are growing mold

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/21/folks-on-tiktok-are-discovering-that-their-improperly-washed-stanley-tumblers-are-growing-mold.html

4 Likes

And only one of the four shown there manages to properly disassemble the mug to clean all the crevices where mould will live.

I mean, it’s a coffee / hot drinks mug, and used as such you should regularly clean all those parts anyway. But for water, this is why a simple metal bottle with a screw-on lid has a much simpler maintenance overhead.

28 Likes

images

It’s not that he chose poorly. It’s that no one washed the Holy Grail in 2000 years.

21 Likes

I heard those Yeti folk figured it out

13 Likes

Yeti’s are dishwasher safe

15 Likes

Soap and water, how does that work?

17 Likes

Sasquatch, not so much.

26 Likes

Brown bears, right out.

11 Likes

Wait’ll they find out about people who never wash their coffee mugs because they think it makes the coffee taste better.

Clean your stuff, people. All your stuff. Mold needs three things to start growing: mold spores (they’re literally everywhere…you can’t control this one), water (hey, it’s a water bottle!), and food (what does mold eat? pretty much any organic matter, and dust and spit are full of organic matter). So clean your shit. It’s the only one of those three things you can eliminate in a water bottle.

17 Likes

Are you suggesting I remove my coffee mug’s seasoning?

11 Likes

Vomit emoji needed, stat!

6 Likes

Yes. Yes I am. That’s not seasoning. It’s old burnt coffee bits, and it’s making your coffee the bad kind of bitter.

9 Likes

Unless you need a fully watertight seal so your coffee can freely roll around in the cargo space of your bronco, then the yeti design can’t be beat.

I’m guessing the Stanley popularity won’t last much longer than this winter as people begin going back to single use after they discover the added chore in keeping the Stanley clean. That’s what has happened to all of my previous “no spill” coffee mugs until I saw how the yeti works.

3 Likes

To further stir the coffee pot, I’d like to share some ideas on how I sharpen my mug…

10 Likes

Great reply. Took me a moment.

3 Likes

Uh, no duh? I got some cups like that with two parts lids that I always pop apart to clean.

I DO need to clean the Nalgene water bottle by my bed more often. In the summer where it gets more sun, I some times get algae in the straw. Oops.

4 Likes

Are you talking travel mugs only or ceramic mugs, as well? There’s a part of me that probably doesn’t want to hear your answer :grimacing:

1 Like

Don’t even ask about Skunk Apes.

4 Likes

All of them. Wash your coffee pot, too, while you’re at it.

4 Likes

Eh, what doesn’t kill me…
/S

2 Likes