Follow-up

there’s nowhere in the piece i saw where he offers any alternative. he says it’s simple: any law seeking to restrain the behavior is bad. that is indeed an opinion people have, i simply think it’s wrong

1 Like

Follow-up on the Tough Mudder story:

The cases could be caused by various infectious agents, including Staphylococcus bacteria, but the leading culprit is the relatively obscure Aeromonas bacteria—specifically A. hydrophila, according to the Sonoma County health department. In a statewide alert this week, the California Department of Public Health said it is considering it an Aeromonas outbreak, noting that multiple wound cultures have yielded the hardy bacterium.

4 Likes

I missed this article when it came out during the dust-up on the Montgomery waterfront.

ETA: I meant to add, this really is an elegant article. The author is a Professor of English (Poetry) at New Haven College.

8 Likes
10 Likes
4 Likes

Edit:

“The women blamed the church for their hesitancy in going to police about Masterson. They testified that when they reported him to Scientology officials, they were told they were not raped, were put through ethics programs themselves, and were warned against going to law enforcement to report a member of such high standing.”

7 Likes
8 Likes

So I’m gussing she’ll pull a Dr. Hibbert?

3 Likes

… everything having to do with Scientology

Happy Excuse Me GIF

5 Likes

They were only fined 190K, but they also had to promise to start following the law now :rage:

I was going to say that the consent decree was also a strong step, allowing authorities to shut the business down completely and immediately if there is even a whiff of violatiin, but then I read about the history of malfeasance in abusjng underage workers…

chris jericho what GIF by CBC

No. Just shut that shit down and throw the owner in jail. WTF!?!

4 Likes

Yep. You have an economically depressed area, where employees are thankful for jobs with living wages and jump at the chance to get their children working at the shop because it means they can stay in the area and have some economic security. The owners/managers were going to keep endangering kids for cheap labor as long as they could, and wrap it up like it’s a favor to the families of their employees. Locally nothing happens because no one wants to see the jobs go away. It’s entrenched exploitation and this judgement signals to other companies that breaking the law until a kid dies is just good business sense.

3 Likes
9 Likes

So, I guess we can assume they will be available for sale in “microdosing” amounts only, and not “let’s go tripping” amounts?

4 Likes
3 Likes

Not a sport that ever interested me.

7 Likes

Not to mention the total incongruity between the activity and the name. Spelunking? That sounds fun! Then you’re trapped in the dark under thousands of tons of rock with no bathroom.

6 Likes

No thanks!

Visiting a cave you can walk through with a tour? Sure.

3 Likes

I’ll take the tram, thanks!

3 Likes

I’ll wait for you at the bar. :wink:

3 Likes