Food scientist thinks people should overcome their reluctance to eat maggots that feed on waste

Food scientist should overcome their reluctance of relying on the marketing department for selling thing.

Like many meat products that I might enjoy eating, I don’t want to think about the process of producing them.

2 Likes

Same here. People need to visit a slaughterhouse. I had to once. It isn’t a pretty sight - and I didn’t even enter the premises where they actually kill the animals. Makes fly larvae look tame in comparison.

3 Likes

Tried that. Needs flavorings.

1 Like

It’s not really made clear what the larvae would be eating in that half hectare area. I assume for cows it would be grass. I don’t see maggots devouring grass in many places.

2 Likes

Are we at this point already?
matrix-meal
if you close your eyes, it feels like you’re eating runny eggs

5 Likes

:joy: I guess Cambodia has done something sorta right for once. https://www.finedininglovers.com/article/insects-everywhere-cambodias-expansive-creepy-crawly-menu

1 Like

Most of which already contain high volumes of maggots and fly specs

1 Like

FTA:

Hogwash. I say, if you’re that desperate for a protein overload, eat the whales.

PETA has long promoted this weird (tongue-in-cheek?) line about how meat-eaters should eat whales because you get more food-per-animal-death that way. I don’t know who they are trying to convince here, because most of us are less concerned about how many life forms are harvested per meal than whether or not that harvesting was done in a sustainable manner.

Eating whales isn’t just worse than eating crickets because whales are intelligent, social creatures. Eating whales is also worse than eating crickets because it puts the very existence of whales in danger. It’s comparatively unlikely that we’ll ever run out of crickets.

3 Likes

in my experience, grubs are much more appetizing when fried to a crisp and tossed in cheese powder. Think slightly more umami cheetos. However i wonder how much of that super-nutritional value is destroyed in the process of deep-frying and cheese-coating

1 Like

Everyone who loves lobster, crab, shrimp and other shell fish raise you hands!

NOW tell me again how grubs and maggots gross you out.

And we all laughed and laughed

However, I DID find out recently the reason we boil lobsters to death… The buggers go really bad really really fast due to internal bacteria.

3 Likes

Yeah, I guess Krill are just bugs after all. And they are already being used in sea-foody snacks.
My take is, better you eat the maggots before the maggots eat you.
Think of them as “animated rice”.
Just wondering, given that everything has its signature smell, what does a mass of maggots smell like?

Someone else to do the mise brutal decay wouldn’t be enough?

I just need the 4H Community Theatre thing where “Oh my. It’s 3 hectares of succulent kitchen scraps we’ve made and the cows are full up. What we gon’ do now?” Then work in a scene of a nobly killed BSFM…ugh… going up on a cleat to bSDM or BSFM…ohai autocorrect… heaven and it’s a scene.

2 Likes

Great, my food’s trying to Ç̸̡̛̻̝̼͖̫̤̙̖̤͓̳̭̟͆͗̂̓͑͌̒̽̈́͐͊͑̕̚͜͝Ḩ̴̺͔̘͉̝̯͈̯̒̅̌Í̷̮͔̫̻͆́͌͌͋̎̒̂̽̓̏̉̀̆̚R̵̨̨̢̫̠̘̪͎͌̉̇́̍͂͐̉͗͑̀̀̀̔̇͗P̶̙̤͗̍̆͛̒̿̈̀̿͊̇́͊͐͊̀͠ at me instead of ś̶͓q̶̨͊͆u̴̟͋͝i̴̗̩̗̓r̶͍̺̹̊̇̑m̵̞͈̿̓̎.

2 Likes

One really needs to let the maggots rest after cooking. I am assuming your partner poaches and not fries.

Still a little way to go, we’re only at this point.

3 Likes

It’s just a matter of processing. I would have a maggot protein bar anytime if it tastes good.

1 Like

The big problem with lobsters and cooking is that lobsters release an enzyme on death that liquefies their meat. Boiling them when alive prevents this (either by disabling the enzyme or preventing the secretion of the enzyme; I’m not sure). There may also be a food safety reason for the speedy death but I think the primary reason is that mushy lobster meat is disgusting.

2 Likes

In the future your popcorn will be salted and buttered beetles. Yum! They are going to figure out how to change the chitin white though. No one wants black colored “popcorn” … well, maybe goths. Thinking about it, the black colored “popcorn” could be licorice flavored. I’m sure that would appeal to some. ack

I have met this idea before. They haven’t mentioned the really extraordinary bit: these critters can chow down on the most awful, putrid, infected stuff, and yet they are almost sterile. They break down everything, and build themselves from scratch. Perhaps something the size of a prion night get through, but not much.

If they can make meat replacements, I’m in.

I think we already have…
https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredients-additives-gras-packaging-guidance-documents-regulatory-information/food-defect-levels-handbook