Fooooonts

All of which is to say that if you’re going to try and forge historical documents, you should do your research first. Times New Roman, released in 1932, is a good bet for revising anything recent unless you’re trying to claim something about, say, the Brooklyn Bridge. In that case, you might want Bookman, released a healthy nine years before its construction began. To be completely safe, you could opt for Textualis, an early form of blackletter typeface used in the Gutenberg Bible. We joke, of course, don’t forge historical documents.

Erm…no. Get a typewriter.

4 Likes

Konrad Kujau has entered the chat.

“If I can’t get an A, then I’ll take the F. Nobody cares about the difference, anyway.”

In regard to McGoey, I suggest he should change his name to McGuffin and tries another diversion. SCNR, jokes about names…

I wonder what type of face he made when the court’s decision became known? We should as Look what he looked like.

Ok, I’ll C myself out.

2 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

4 Likes
5 Likes

“The trouble in handwriting,” said Mr. James Whitney, of the Boston Public Library, “is that there is apt to be too much flourishing.”

He’s not wrong.

6 Likes

(No idea whether I grabbed a good one off youtube or not. I’m not versed in it myself.)

6 Likes

I have Art Tutor handwriting, though I studied more than I taught; it’s very similar, but a little more rounded than Architect.

Unless I am making fast notes, in which case it is more Illegible (Sans Serif).

3 Likes

I have doctor script handwriting. There is no font anywhere that is less legible.

6 Likes

1 Like

:scream: They fail to provide a link for a TTF for Library Hand!

Season 9 Episode 25 GIF by The Simpsons

1 Like

2 Likes

http://www.margoburns.com/fonts/DanaLibraryHand/

Here you go

(Looks like this project was inspired by reading that very article!)

2 Likes

Thank you!

In addition to English, the font is designed to be compatible with Catalán, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Old English, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish, including special glyphs and diacritics used by these languages. Please contact me if you find that the font is missing any glyphs used by these languages.

That’s amazing!
And I am definitely going to install that on a workmates desktop, and try to make it the system font…

4 Likes

Ooh, hand lettered typography!

I never managed to learn the cursive; my own handwriting is architect adjacent.

My favorite hand letterer without a doubt is Daniel Clowes!

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s fully featured, including stylistic alternates, lining figures and ligatures

2 Likes

6 Likes

Library for the blind

Light to the blind

I like that it’s from 1906.

Kinda a repost from years ago.

6 Likes

Clippy designer was too embarrassed to include him in his portfolio

6 Likes

That reminds me of something that has been bothering me for quite some time. The web is full of information about typography for screen and print use, but does anyone know good resources covering all the other use cases?

2 Likes

There used to be several active typography threads on Flickr (but I stopped using Flickr when they changed their terms and conditions of ownership).

2 Likes