For sale: Conventional large home with an 1800s western ghost town in the backyard

Originally published at: For sale: Conventional large home with an 1800s western ghost town in the backyard | Boing Boing

4 Likes

It does not appear to be just the facade, as this aerial view indicates.

11 Likes

“Thanks for coming over for dinner, now that I’m moved in, I just love this place! The landscaping, the layout, the location. Unfortunately insert sound of revolvers being cocked this town ain’t big enough fer the two of us. . . .”

7 Likes

I’m getting Spahn Ranch vibes from that place.

1 Like

1.8 million is about the same or less even than most “luxury” 0 bedroom apartments in Manhattan right now…

1 Like

I know a gentleman in northern Michigan who did this with his property and lets the public come and check out all the buildings. It’s called Coopersville and he originally just started out building an old saloon on his property to hang out with his friends. But from there it branched out to a whole “old west” town. The guy, whose name is Spike Cooper, is a huge John Wayne and Western movie fan in general. He doesn’t charge people to check out his town and said he likes to do it to see how excited people get. Pretty cool guy.

3 Likes

with an 1800s western ghost town in the backyard

That’s like every other home up here in Joshua Tree, one town is decked out like that too, Pioneer Town, they still shoot Westerns there. Nostalgia does weird things to people.

1 Like

At 1.8 million, that’s a bargain. With the ghost town it’s something like five houses going for 360k each.

2 Likes

(kids are yelling and fighting in the house)

“Now now, no fighting. What do we do instead of fighting?”

(everyone) “Duel at high noon out side the saloon.”

“That’s right. Now go to your rooms and get ready and I don’t want to hear a peep out of you until then.”

7 Likes

I’m amused by the fact that Pioneer Town (purpose-built for filming westerns in 1946) is older today than the “real” old west towns were at the time that it was built. Same goes for the Western sections of Knotts Berry Farm and Disneyland.

7 Likes

Great place to be a tourist and pay $5 US for a 10 oz bottle of H2o.

1 Like

Yeah, the place is a real let-down compared to Calico, which is a nearby western ghost-ish town that’s actually real and has mines & stuff. But I guess Pioneer town was a slightly closer drive for the Hollywood film crews or something.

2 Likes

They shoot a lot of truck commercials out there, makes me laugh when I see one with Pioneer Town in the background.

1 Like

I’ve been here a couple of times for events. It’s really a special place. The last time there were river otters playing in the stream in front of the old west buildings with people doing a scavenger hunt around the property.

This place will be missed.

1 Like

Thank you!!!

1 Like

I’ve been to this property, and I’ve seen the house and old time buildings. The place was used as a sort of B&B (the house). The old west buildings are intact and pretty neat to see. The property itself is quite private and the stream is really lovely. I’m surprised they’re only asking $1.8M for it.

2 Likes

Holy shit, what is up with Western WA this week on Boing Boing. This is more than just a weird western town in the backyard. I don’t know if it was rented out, or if the owners were into it, but there used to be adult parties coordinated on Western WA Fetlife accounts that would meet here for all night adult themed activities. My spouse was invited to one, but ultimately declined. I’ve had friends in the local poly/fetish community that have been there.

I hear it’s a beautiful place. It’s just that every time it comes up, folks discuss the weird western town that’s on the property because it’s hilarious that there were naked fetish things happening, and a western town at the same time.

1 Like

Calico is actually where a lot of the Knotts stuff came from if I remember correctly.

and fun thing, you can find small turquoise veins out at calico.

1 Like

Might explain the:

Garage for 7 cars + parking for 40+ vehicles.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.