For sale: Home built into the stern of a former US Navy boat from 1908

Just make sure the neighbor isn’t Admiral Boom.

12 Likes

The downside is you need to know the password to get in.

Captain Carl

10 Likes

Uh, yeah, I grew up there.
It is far closer to suburban hell…
… with boats.
The boats are the good part.

3 Likes

Especially when answering the phone

3 Likes

Thats some pretty neat upcycling of a ship. Unfortunatly far from what I could ever afford.

Yeah, me too!

2 Likes

•boat
•from 1908
nutrition has changed an awful lot since then. the overton window on what is “tall” may be shifted. aside from boats being built compactly in general.
I’d need to see a person above six-feet tall standing upright in those photos before I’d even consider bothering to check it out in person.
not that I could buy it anyway, but if I could, I’m very skeptical of these photos with no easy-to-derive scale.

1 Like

One man’s hell is another man’s heck. (heck is nicer than hell, right?)

2 Likes

Heck yeah.

3 Likes

Those are a lot of nice houses that are all going to flood in 20 years.

6 Likes

I hope.

1 Like

Which makes this one all the more practical? :thinking:

6 Likes

That’s a good boat!!

1 Like

I can imagine kids in the neighborhood ribbing the owner’s children: “You live in a boat’s ass!”

Not $2 million for less than 1,400 square feet lovely, that’s for sure.

3 Likes

Yeah, but personally I’d mount the whole thing on a gimbal to get that rocking feel. You could also mount the oven on a gimbal as they do in yachts, so if you’re feeling seasick, just go and do a bit of cooking to find equilibrium!

Very good point!

I’ve had the job of recreating architectural models in 3D from photographic references and that’s where the fun begins!

All the doors top off at the ceiling… hmmm:

The galley looks like you can stretch up:

Until you see the floor is lowered by 300mm to 500mm:

To get a sense of scale check out the green boots and the jacket on the railing and see a person inside them standing up… Yikes!:

This place looks like a real head banger!

2 Likes

the kitchen might be ok with those recessed floors, but your first pic is pretty damning. I’ve seen educational tv shows where the (presumably average height) host visits a historical boat and has to duck through the doorways on it.
if the boots and coat in the third pic belong to a shorter-than-average person, then that room is very cramped, indeed.
good eye!

1 Like

Now Boaty McBoatHouse.

1 Like

Surely it would be Housey Mc Houseboat?

XKCD didnt help on this one

2 Likes