For sale: one volcano supervillain lair

Every time I see a modernist house with all this glass, I picture the dog nose prints on all those windows.

10 Likes

Or baby hand prints!

1 Like

But what about the internet connection? It is any good?

No matter how cool the lair is, if the connection is slower than 100Mbps, I will not buy it.

5 Likes

You’ve really thought this evil-lair thing out

3 Likes

Not to threadjack here, but this is why I’ve always thought a light saber would not actually be laser but plasma.

2 Likes

According to Wookieepedia, a lightsaber blade is made of plasma confined by a rapidly rotating electromagnetic field, which actually makes sense, generally. They still like to mix up matter with energy and end up saying stupid things like “plasma and other energies” which while technically accurate (E=mc2 after all) doesn’t really make sense in the human scale of things.

But yeah, the “reason” why Jedi use lightsabers, and non-force people don’t is because of the immense gyroscopic forces produced by the rapidly spinning plasma, which takes considerable effort and a lot of care to wield in practice.

5 Likes

Well color me double disappointed in the Myth Busters then for not acknowledging this or attempting to make one in their recent Star Wars episode where they dismissed it as impossible “because lasers.”

3 Likes

That episode totally ignored wookieepedia even though they’ve referred to it in past myths. I am disappoint. They mangled pretty much everything as far as I’m concerned. Wookieepedia has many canon sources and while they seemed to only go off of the movies, they would have been well-served to use official reference material from before the internet age, like the Star Wars Encyclopedia and such which are “Lucas Approved”.

2 Likes

There just HAD to be a Charles Eames lounge chair in there.

1 Like

And 1 shitton is equal to 700.3 metric ass loads.

4 Likes

Oh sure it’s detached. We all know there is a secret door and a mad scientist lab inside that mound. Keep it a secret though. Taxes are the super villains real adversary.

5 Likes

“but you’ll have to commute to the Mojave.” I’m going with a NO on that.

2 Likes

“$650,000 or best offer”?

My offer is : give me the damn secret lair and I don’t use my weather-controlling satellite to drown the entire Eastern seaboard.

12 Likes

Yeah, except that apparently they are safe enough for a bunch of toddlers to carelessly swing them around within inches of each other. While blindfolded. (Seriously, Lucas. This doesn’t even stand up to the safety protocols for a birthday piñata.)

7 Likes

#FTFY 

1 Like

No neighbors within spitting distance? Damn, I wish I had some money.

5 Likes

The training involves dodging other people’s lightsabers too. There are incentives for not getting hit.

2 Likes

According to the Wookieepedia younglings are given training sabers that have a fixed low-power setting that will cause minor singing, but not cut through flesh.

They’ve retconned everything you know.

3 Likes

Confined plasma wouldn’t be polarized, although the magnetic field that does the confinement would have a polarized component (highly variable, spatially).

The TMX device is as close as we’ve come, but it’s a bit unwieldly for hand-to-hand combat:

They kept adding one set of magnets a year until it collapsed under its own weight.

If you don’t need fusion levels of energy/density, it could be streamlined to some extent.

4 Likes

7 Likes