Forbidden Tetris

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/06/forbidden-tetris.html

8 Likes

What? Is that video supposed to be 4 seconds long? What am I looking at?

14 Likes

Iā€™m not entirely certain, but that would appear to be a nuclear reactor. As to how Rob got that video, I havenā€™t the slightest idea.

Edit:
Yep:

Still no idea where Rob got the video or why itā€™s only 4 seconds long.

Double-Edit:
@FGD135 got it right, it appears to be an RBMK reactor. The movement youā€™re seeing is part of the reactorā€™s self-regulation system. Itā€™s moving rods in and out to maintain reactor output within some tolerance with the help of a pretty amazing number of sensors.

17 Likes

Looks like a

to me.

18 Likes

Good eye! It took me a few minutes to confirm it myself.

5 Likes

I refuse to get involved in this.

21 Likes

A very special RBMK reactor.

19 Likes

Itā€™s from the HBO show Chernobyl just before the big boom. And yes those are the control rods jumping around. Not good.

Also, that show is brutal. Radiation is such an insidious way to die, you canā€™t see it or feel it. Apparently you smell metal if it is strong enough. If you smell the metal, you die very horribly.

After watching that show, I watched this video from Veritasium where he visits Chernobyl and Prypiat 30 years after the incident. It is still completely deserted, very unsettling.

26 Likes

This is way funnier than it should be.

7 Likes

A buddy of mine works in the nuke sector around waste disposal and particle beamā€¦ stuff. Just the declassified stuff he was able to tell me was horrifying.

4 Likes

Crouching R-Type?

2 Likes

having just watched the final episode of Chernobyl last night, this is triggering. good lord, that show. the end made me weep.

9 Likes

This gives me a very special kind of trypophobia

2 Likes

I dug on the show. I also need to figure out a way to work the phrase, ā€œwhat? weā€™re still wearing the fucking hatsā€ into my daily parlance.

10 Likes

one of the best minor characters in that show, for sure. also, ā€œif these actually worked, youā€™d be wearing one.ā€

6 Likes

The whole series was amazing. The final episode was almost overwhelming.

8 Likes

but that song! i need that song! Shazam doesnā€™t recognize the 4 second clip!

Itā€™s a remix of the Tetris theme. Hereā€™s a Russian hardbass version

8 Likes
8 Likes

Such a bouncy little tune for the frightening ride to come. Pogo said it well, ā€œWe have met the enemy and he is usā€.

2 Likes