Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio says he would accept a blowjob from Trump in latest Sacha Baron Cohen trap

Ups…

An argument can certainly be made that the satire is tasteless, and it kind of is on several levels.

However, the point is exposing the hypocrisy of right-wing homophones, not making fun of gay sex.

14 Likes

is it possible that through Cohen’s use of the accent and Arpaio being partially deaf…that this jackass just doesn’t understand what he is saying?

I would like to believe he does, but I have doubts.

3 Likes

Its maybe just me but I think many have missed the point here.
SBC has these people who present themselves as thought leaders for a political movement make ridiculous statements that makes them appear stupid and we should criticise his methods?
Showing way these people behave and think is important for the electorate to see.

8 Likes

I am realistic enough to know that the time for being able to do that has pretty much passed. I am happy enough for his ignominious exit from public life

5 Likes

I’ll say it again;

I’ve never cared for Cohen’s kind of humor; I didn’t like Borat, or Bruno, and I hated Ali G.

That said, if his show helps expose the internal ugliness that some of our so-called leaders harbor, then more power to him.

Apario is a horrible excuse for a person, and hopefully this embarrassment will not only keep him from gaining an office in 45’s cabinet, it will make him fade away from the public eye, for good.

Lastly, the saying is ‘punching up or punching down’, not “kicking.”

O_o

And exposing the hypocrisy of rich unethical politicians* because they are too obtuse or egotistical to realize when they are being trolled is an example of ‘punching up.’

*Yes I do know that phrase is redundant.

26 Likes

I have doubts that in this case Arpaio even comprehends what is being said and what he is agreeing to…but I really don’t care about how he feels about it or about the potentially deleterious effects it may have for him. as far as I am concerned…its called karma.

3 Likes

I absolutely loved bits of Borat (the film), but not so much the painfully awkward & uncomfortable interview / chat bits. I’ve never been a fan of that kind of humor. What I enjoyed were the bizarrely Monty Python style absurdist bits exploring his native country or his antagonistic relationship with his assistant. That stuff was well written and scripted and a lot of fun. Whereas I kinda wanted to walk out of Brüno.

6 Likes

I find all of Cohen’s entrapment-style humor to be funny, however pleasant his targets are.

3 Likes

Like @Melz2 and a lot of other people here, I’m not a fan of Cohen’s “humor”. But the idea that he’s punching down on Arpaio is just plain absurd. The fucker is proud of running concentration camps!

25 Likes

That’s the entire point, methinks; if he isn’t even savvy enough to figure out that he’s being publicly trolled, then he shouldn’t be considered a potential candidate for any position of power.

Furthermore, I think folks who are complaining that a ‘mere blow job joke’ was low hanging fruit have missed the really important element here; it’s on 45’s same level of gutterball mentality, and basically ensures that 45 will never offer Arpaio a job now… it would threaten his image as ‘an alpha male strong man’ to hire a man who publicly admitted that he would suck 45’s dick.

12 Likes

I concur. I don’t think he is punching down at all, people like Arpaio deserve every single ounce of what they get.

As I have said in another thread…Martin Blank puts it perfectly…

7 Likes

and for the second time in the same thread I get to say…

4 Likes

In that case, “justice” for Arpaio is hardly being made fun of. Justice would be the equivalent of Nurenberg.

I personally could live just fine with being made fun of if I had a position or a track record like Arpaio’s, as long as I weren’t actually busted for my crimes.

I find Cohen’s prank to be an Ersatz rather than something that would lead in that general direction.

Well, still, if this means he’s gonna lose the senate run, it should be worth it.

1 Like

I don’t think many people get what punching up/punching down actually is.

To put it in grade school terms, a bigger stronger kid bullying a weaker smaller one on the playground at recess is an example of ‘punching down.’

That weaker, scrawnier kid deciding to retaliate against that bully is ‘punching up.’

8 Likes

and in Borat vs assholes like Arpaio its “The bully being lured in by the shy geeky kid that actually is a black belt in Judo”

:slight_smile:

I actually think SBC should be concerned about his safety if he keeps this schtick up, though; after all, men fear being laughed at…

5 Likes

Sure. But that’s a little beyond the reach of a shock-comedian, so I’m not sure how it’s a criticism of Cohen.

Again, Cohen isn’t the Hague or even a Federal circuit judge. I’m not sure what the point is of saying his ridicule won’t lead to Arpaio in irons.

Comedy and satire are long-standing tools of public opprobrium. So yes.

12 Likes

He’s not necessarily a comedian in the modern sense, so if you are approaching it with that framework you will probably be disappointed. He’s from the classic bouffon school of weaponized mockery, designed primarily to elicit social and political change. It runs way deeper than simply trying to make you laugh, or even be entertained for that matter.

6 Likes

?
Because he was so close to being winning his race before this?

2 Likes