Sasha Baron Cohen in disguise triggers racist townsfolk with plans for giant mosque

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/18/sasha-baron-cohen-in-disguise.html

8 Likes

The gag was made even funnier by his playing (and mocking) a stereotypical bubble-dwelling coastal elite liberal for these living and breathing actual right-wing bigots to play off of. From the NPR t-shirt to the professorship at Reed, he nails it.

19 Likes

Aw jeez, messing with the toothless rubes. I feel sorry for them, in a way I don’t feel sorry for the professional bigots he’s messed with before.

3 Likes

I don’t. They don’t have to be intolerant racist ass hats, they choose to be. And it’s important we all see regular people acting this way because we get to see the ground floor - the basement, to be clear - of GOP supporters and what they believe.

32 Likes

I’m not sure I could be that brave. He’s at serious risk of getting shot.

22 Likes

Bravest comedian I’ve ever seen, hands down.

13 Likes

I’d be more sympathetic if they agreed to just pull the ‘abstain’ lever in the voting booth.

5 Likes

What is it that you thought you were correcting there?

1 Like

Nvrmnd, sorry, I’m reading poorly cuz it’s Friday. I’ll delete my complaint.

10 Likes

Updoots, no worries. I do it all the time and feel your pain.

5 Likes

Is this an old post, reposted?

This stuff was cycling the interwebs months ago.

Still - brilliant show and hugely concerning character study.

5 Likes

Again, I’ve never found Cohen’s type of humor funny, but I still can’t help but marvel at how well he’s able to troll some people…

32 Likes

I have to admit, I regularly drive past a pretty big/visible mosque here in the US, and sometimes when there’s an unexplained traffic jam I assume some maga-hat-wearing terrorist might’ve called in a bomb threat, or worse.

6 Likes

What about the part when Cohen says “I’m not accusing anyone here of being racist” and one guy immediately speaks up to angrily declare that he is in fact a racist?

When someone takes offense at the suggestion that they aren’t a bigot then they absolutely deserve to be messed with.

35 Likes

The bit about protecting the residents from terrorists is an interesting one because it’s far more likely that a giant mosque like this in rural America would be the target of a terrorist bombing, not the source of it.

12 Likes

Like Melz, I’m not a fan, but that did make me laugh harder than anything I’ve seen him do since the Ice Cream Glove.

3 Likes

I am also not a fan of his humour. But look what scams people fall for, and who they end voting for - there are plenty of targets for this kind of humour. I do wish there was some humour that could end up changing the targeted people’s minds, for a positive outcome.

Yep. “When the townsfolk complained about terrorists, Cohen told them that the worshippers would be well protected from terrorist attacks against them.”

11 Likes

This is from episode 2 of Who is America, if you care to watch the original, and not some random dude’s YouTube channel.

8 Likes

I didn’t say that I have any sympathy for the kinds of people who fall for his driving trollies; they set themselves up to be easy targets, by having garbage beliefs and ideas but never being analytical enough to review or rethink the motivations behind them.

4 Likes