Fortnite goes Waterworld

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/18/fortnite-goes-waterworld.html

1 Like

Man. Waterworld. What a bad movie, though despite a lot of its flaws and quirks i’ve always regarded the premise itself of a flooded world that humans had to adapt to as an interesting one. I know its basically a Mad Max ripoff just on the open ocean but i like the concept behind it, would be curious to see what a more modern take on it would look like.

4 Likes

Right there with you. I would love a Mad Max: Fury Road- like sequel of Waterworld!

3 Likes

Dolphins with laserbeams.

3 Likes

It was a bad movie plagued by a terrible production concept: “Lets really film on the open water”.
Huge sets got pulped by a hurricane and the effects budgets overran. Ironically, Dennis Hopper was on his best behavior on set in decades.

Nowadays it would have relied on a lot of CGI and studio water tanks. Things which are much cheaper than huge floating sets that barely functioned and nearly killed the cast.

4 Likes

A follow up would have a much easier time if they did much more CG for sure, though i would certainly appreciate practical effects/sets. Honestly don’t know if they’d ever want to touch the property again considering how much of a bomb it was.

2 Likes

Probably not.

The Mad Max films were not big budget blockbusters production-wise, prior to Fury Road. Which is why they were so influential in the mid-late 80’s. Spawning so many low budget European rip offs. Doing it in a grand style was kind of doomed from the start.

2 Likes

``If you look at this, the cost of Pathfinder is the same as the cost of the movie ‘Waterworld,’ ’ Donna Shirley, manager of the Mars exploration program at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory

1 Like

Game Over. Please deposit 40 quarters.

Fortnite has jumped the shark.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.