Four fishermen dead after drinking from bottles found at sea

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/01/four-fishermen-dead-after-drinking-from-bottles-found-at-sea.html

5 Likes

Reminds me of when i was in college, i moved into a studio apt with a shared kitchen. One of the previous tenants left a few bottles of booze in the fridge (some kind of vodka and Bailey’s i think). I was initially psyched over the free booze but i quickly thought better of it, drinking mystery booze that someone else left behind seemed like a really bad idea so i made sure to pour it all out and then toss the bottles as a precaution.

31 Likes

If it looks like alcohol and it smells like alcohol, then it must be alcohol (methanol?! :open_mouth:)

Outbreaks of methanol poisoning have occurred primarily due to contamination of drinking alcohol. This is more common in the developing world.[71] In 2013 more than 1700 cases nonetheless occurred in the United States. Those affected are often adult men.[72] Outcomes may be good with early treatment.[73] Toxicity to methanol was described as early as 1856.[74]

14 Likes

I found beer floating down the river once. I drank it and it was fine.

I also drank old beer that was in the fridge and gave myself food poisoning. Ironically, it was one of the very few non-social drinks I’ve had and it did me in!

9 Likes

dude! i peed in that! :no_mouth:

21 Likes

Tim Rozon GIF by Blue Ice Pictures

19 Likes

8 Likes
7 Likes

They forgot to check for a message in the bottle, and choked on a treasure map.

6 Likes
7 Likes

(To the tune of the “Don’t dream it, Be it” from RHPS)
“Don’t drink it, he peed in it.” /silly

6 Likes

contributed by allanrosehill

3 Likes

Treatment for methanol poisoning (or antifreeze, for that matter) is to stay shitfaced for 72 hours or whatever, to ensure that the liver enzyme pathways that would otherwise be turning the methanol into formaldehyde [not good] are too busy turning ethanol into aldehyde.

Administration can be by mouth, or by IV.

Hospitals become unsympathetic if you regularly turn up admitting to accidental methanol ingestion, or so I hear from a friend.

16 Likes

Good thing they didn’t eat what they found in that Pringles can I left…

9 Likes

6 Likes

I remember hearing a story back in the 80’s, urban myth obviously, about two guys transporting liquid LSD in a sealed wine bottle. A cop confiscates it at a traffic stop, later drinks it and goes insane. Looks like Snopes addressed this story.

I haven’t heard that one, but I did hear rumours that the cops involved in the Operation Julie raids were hallucinating for days after because there was so much LSD.

2 Likes

Fascinating article - but this caught my eye:

In December 2010, Welsh actor Matthew Rhys bought the film rights to the book Operation Julie: The World’s Greatest LSD Bust by Lyn Ebenezer.[9]

Happy Acid House GIF by Asher reesha

1 Like

Punk AF! Watt’s still going strong… just finished a European tour. Check out his podcast, The Watt From Pedro Show, twfps.com .

1 Like

That’s right up there with taking a pill you found on the floor of a bar bathroom

4 Likes