Four folk horror films not to miss

Let’s Scare Jessica To Death is a weird horror movie that I think fits the description of folk horror.

I get sucked in every time it shows up on cable and it’s still just as bizarre as I remember.

3 Likes

The other thread on Hugh Grant in an A24 movie reminded me that that’s not his first horror movie, and the other one is pure folk horror.

The Lair of the White Worm, which also features Peter Capaldi as an archaeologist (yay!).

I recently rewatched it because I bought a new jumper, and this is the best jumper movie out there. From cable knits to Donegal sweaters, it has it all.

9 Likes

Not to mention that it’s hilarious.

7 Likes
1 Like

For me, the purest distillation of the Folk Horror aesthetic is contained within The Trial of Worzel Gummidge:

6 Likes

You’re not wrong! And proto steampunk clattering and the relentless sinister crows!

Chilling.

2 Likes

Got hip to this film in high school, thanks to a wonderful arthouse theatre about a mile from the house where I grew up. I was so glad when it came to cable - I hipped mom & we watched it almost every time it was shown.

I love this strange, mythological, surreal, soulful film, and still watch it at least every couple years.

{ETA: These images will be much embiggened if U click 'em}

3 Likes

Last night & tonight, my BF & I watched Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror. It’s on freevee via amazOMG prime, and V well done!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.