Four or five people 'floss' in Times Square for New Years

Sphincter?

1 Like

It was really hard watching all these “celebrities” whose talent was “YouTube creator”, and explaining this to my 80+ yo folks.
Yes, Ma, it’s a job, and it only pays money if you have millions of followers.
And no Ma, you don’t have to worry about it ever.

Now someone please explain to ME why they are on TV. I didn’t flip to Ryan Seacrest to watch makeup tutorials or Walmart pranks.

4 Likes

I think it means he straddles an imaginary gym towel held in his hands and flosses his bum.

It’s a music video. For those that missed it, this is die antwoord. There’s more, too.

2 Likes

They are on TV because conventional media is worried about the rise of social media and stars on those platforms being popular with the kids, thus diluting the audience share, and wants to capture some of that social media glamour back for itself.

Thus, for instance, the BBC got the YouTube Vlogger Joe Suggs, brother of YouTube fashion sensation Zoella Suggs to appear on Strictly Come Dancing recently.

I was prepared to dislike him but he actually was a nice, articulate interesting guy, who trained and worked as a thatcher and went into the YT scene off the back of his sister’s fame as far as I can see. And he turned out to be a good dancer and got to the final.

But the dynamics of the whole situation are demonstrated by the fact that my daughter (19yo) already knew who “Thatcher Joe” was before Strictly, and my wife and I didn’t. So Joe has extended his potential audience reach, as well as getting trained up as a useful dancer while picking up some BBC appearance fees and certainly bringing some of his YT fans on to BBC1.

A win-win situation, I would say.

“The Floss” doesn’t look like a dance so much as a dance move.

3 Likes

I would imagine there are several of these ‘broadcast set’ scaffolding structures placed all around Time Square , each one affiliated with some obscure product or company and the efforts made to book a guest… well… that would all make a fascinating documentary.

Even the big stages that ABC has, they end up with a boy band or otherwise a name that few people have heard, so if you can get a D-list YouTube ‘star’ to climb up to your 16’ x 16’ extravaganza in the sky … well, good.

Must be a depressing gig though… hours and hours of standing around saying “Hey you guys” and not being able to do the thing that brought you fame (swallowing bleach) … just inane chatter to fill time…

And as a fan, do you gamble of which corral you camp in all night or can you wander around? The people who didn’t floss … were they even tuned in to his show? Maybe they didn’t know they were supposed to floss?

My guess is “You are going to host New Years Eve from Time Square” got them thinking a Dick Clark-level of exposure.

I knew that dance was played out when I keep seeing it being used in local bank commercials

1 Like

From what I’ve read, dance copyright law is poorly defined. If you’ve got sequences of moves set to particular music, it’s clear that you could assert copyright. A dance move to no music in particular is murky by itself. This particular move is documented on YouTube going back at least 8 years (and in the oldest video, the dancer says he learned it from someone else), so it’s either been copied a bunch of times or independently re-invented.

You’d be surprised by the number of adults who play and watch Fortnite streamers.

In some parts of the country they are synonyms.

Agreed. We tuned in to see Dick Clark!

1 Like

Are there parts of the country where all of the male humans have short fat penises?

From the TMZ article:

“…in the process of copyrighting…”

Speaking as a writer of various sorts, there is no process of copyrighting. If you made something before anybody else did, you have copyright. If you can prove when you made it (for example, by mailing a sealed manuscript to yourself for the postmark), that makes proving that it’s your copyright easier should it ever be challenged, but you have copyright automatically.

Is it different in the US?

I suppose the main problem is that a move is so short, and is intended to be copied by fans etc at gigs. Which I’m guessing would make it more of a trademark issue?

Statistically the same:

https://www.ada.org/en/science-research/science-in-the-news/the-medical-benefit-of-daily-flossing-called-into-question

1 Like

“Fetch” is not happening.

Nope. It’s required by international treaties.

really? i haven’t seen any! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Mass flossing in public? It sounds very ■■■■■.

Choreography certainly can be copyrighted. There are notation systems used for recording dances much the same as musical notation.

That said, as with other art forms, the work created needs to be substantial to be worthy of copyright protection, and “flossing” looks like a move, not a dance.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.