Four or five people 'floss' in Times Square for New Years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/01/four-or-five-people-floss.html

2 Likes

There’s a big difference between popular on the Internet and popular in a crowd of ordinary people.

23 Likes

I’m not seeing how this improves dental hygiene at all. I think the traditional way of flossing works better.

25 Likes

Why do they have some sort of children’s internet celebrity at an event full of adults?

11 Likes

I feel kinda back for this Backpack Kid after reading that, but he appropriated a term that comes from Hip Hop culture; it’s not original to gamers.

♬Flossin but have caution we collide with other crews. ♫

2 Likes

I kinda feel like the kid deserves some slack. He probably doesn’t even know about that reference. But even if he does, artists riff off each other all the time. Especially hip-hop artists.

In any case, the kid is really talented. I like that Drip on Boat song, though not enough to put into regular rotation.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m not saying he doesn’t. And there is a difference between riffing off other artists and a big company ripping off artists without crediting them.

Epic Games should at least credit him in the game for the dance, but they’re probably resisting that thinking they’ll have to pay him for it. Yeah, he gets publicity out of it, but artists die of exposure and a big corporation so obviously stealing with impunity irritates me.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I agree. “Exposure” is code for “work for free”. If things are as they seem, Epic Games should definitely pay out big time.

3 Likes

Streaming sensation Ninja?

12 Likes

Dude, there are an awful lot of white guys named Ninja.

12 Likes

On this thread I can’t believe I got ninjaed…

I’m posting anyway…

Uh, oh… I may be falling in that DA hole again…

6 Likes

And only one Yolandi.

5 Likes

Backpack kid is suing Epic for copyright infringement. I personally don’t think a few seconds of a dance move qualifies for copyright protecton, but he may get his payout anyway.

Updated to say: haha I didn’t click the link to TMZ in the original post. And also to say I am ready to see kids learn a new dance move. Enough with flossing already.

why floss when you’re getting a free water pick?

3 Likes

And what are they flossing anyway?
Choad?

I had to look up the word “choad.” Did you mean “taint”?

I am clearly out of touch. I’ve been spending too much time in public. Hence, the reason I’ve seen all the kids flossing.

1 Like

And a much more talented woman:

2 Likes

Just look at it!

I took a leap and landed wrong.
Yes I did mean taint.

1 Like

That’s a good point. I never stopped to consider what the hell those kids are actually “flossing.” But if it’s not their taint than what else is it?

I will never look at that dance the same way again.

2 Likes