Four ways to actually remove stickers once and for all

We spent a big chunk of yesterday removing stickers from old Ikea curtain rods. My usual solution - steam from our always-on commercial espresso machine - didn’t work, I assume because the stickers were old and the glue had dried out. Eventually goo-gone and much elbow grease did the trick, though we had both naptha and a heat gin on standby.

The problem with the buzzfeed video is that we have no idea how well those labels were stuck on in the first place.

We used eucalyptus oil and cotton wool for anything a sticker left behind in a consumer electronics store.

It worked great and smelled nice.

Hand sanitizer gets the glue from stickers off books and DVDs, with no damage. It can also clean dirt off pretty well.

1 Like

Yes, MadLib, Bestine isn’t good for the skin. Use it with gloves. Good
ventilation is also preferred. I didn’t use it enough back in the day to
cause problems, but I know of a couple of old-time paste-up artists who
developed skin cancer on forefingers and thumbs from wiping the stuff on
with cotton balls. Nasty.

Mineral spirits.

Not for the first time, as I note the remarkable coincidence of a BB article with my musings on the elimination of childrens’ years-old sticker residue, am I left with the queasy feeling that I am not as unobserved or in control of my destiny as I should like.

1 Like

Stickers? Surely ‘Tories’ and ‘Blue Meanies’ will do. We really don’t need another nickname for the UK Conservative Party.

That’s going to ruin your microphone.

2 Likes

I find it interesting that the fear of ripped stickers and left behind residue keep people from peeling off unsightly stickers on laptops and other electronics.

I just fixed a retiring coworkers personal laptop that was two years old and still had all the original stickers all over the palmrest declaring the specs and the free Dropbox storage.

I somehow managed to keep from removing them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.