Fourth death at "The Vessel" sculpture in New York City's Hudson Yards

I still say that if this government has its way…

5 Likes
8 Likes

Worse yet, the view from it is terrible. It just urban North Jersey, overlooking Weehauken/West New York. (Generally views from Manhattan looking out from it are not as impressive as the reverse)

On the plus side, I can see my apartment from it.

4 Likes

Paris in the late 19th/Early 20th Century didn’t have a housing cost crunch. Hudson Yards was designed as a big middle finger to the working people from New York City.

7 Likes

Low polygons/poor rendering.

2 Likes

Ross’ apology reads like his lawyers’ first draft while on the golf course.

4 Likes

Most buildings on Earth are literally pointless, having no view of Paris.

4 Likes

craft is useful, art is not.

There’s a long list of remains from Worlds Fairs past besides the Eiffel Tower (Exposition Universelle 1889), places I’ve been to were the Space Needle (62), the NY State pavilion’s observation towers in Flushing (64), the Montreal Biosphere (67), the St Louis Art Museum (04) and the Chicago Palace of Fine Arts/Museum of Science and Industry (1893).

Hell, I’m especially a sucker for the Carousel of Progress (64) at Disney.

2 Likes

Any plans to visit the Atomium (1958) in Brussels? If you’re on a budget, maybe the Riverfront Park Pavilion (1974) in Spokane? I’ve heard there’s something in Knoxville, too, but they just store wigs there now.

3 Likes

Not fair, @DukeTrout beat you to that joke, yet is lagging in likes!

Fair enough. Maybe if it was in a different location it would be less controversial. Though one could say that about many of the large art and public spaces in NYC. Not sure any one installation is the cause of the lack of affordable housing in such a densely populated city. And especially not the cause for the lack of will to create housing that is affordable, vs expensive/luxury housing.

Lesser known: what is now the Art Institute of Chicago was built for the 1893 Columbian Exposition as the working offices for the architects and engineers planning the Expo – and known as the World’s Congress Auxiliary Building – with the plan for the AIC to move in after the building was no longer needed for the Expo.

8 Likes

Also fair. But it they’re going to make huge, ugly art, why not make it such that it is also affordable housing?

4 Likes

The original Eiffel Tower argument was specious anyway. Some may have felt the tower ugly when it was first built and now fewer may feel that way, but nothing about the Vessel follows from that. Two different objects, you know.

4 Likes

One of my obscure favorites is the dinosaur diorama that’s now part of the Disneyland train ride. It used to be part of the “Ford Magic Skyway” ride that was in the '64 fair in New York. I just wish that I could experience it the way it was meant to be seen: while cruising by in a shiny new Ford convertible.
unnamed

4 Likes

If anybody is wondering what that endpoint looks like.

I love that church, even if I’m not entirely sure what the point of that staircase actually was, in the mind of the architect.

7 Likes

…other than saving our “souls” after being subjected to so much day-in, day-out ugliness of all sorts! Anything that helps make life worth living I’d call useful AF!

3 Likes

The Eiffel Tower was never finished. What we see was sposed to be the skeleton which would be covered up.

3 Likes

And, sadly, their cup "runneth over~ "

1 Like

I think it’s basically scaffolding covered in plywood, some type of moisture barrier, and sod.

5 Likes