Fourth thingy shot down entering U.S. airspace

This is a popular sport on the lake I live on because there are two spots where the wind swirls just right due to the shape of the land.

This is not my lake but I get to watch people doing this near by.

6 Likes

At this rate, we’ll never meet any extraterrestrials.

10 Likes

Well, there’s meet…

live long and prosper star trek GIF by HULU

… and meet. :grimacing:

New York Nyc GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

25 Likes

Imagine if there was a rigid airship manufacturer with a history of doing business with Lockheed Martin?

4 Likes

If this keeps up maybe my embarrassingly high playtime in XCOM will turn into an exciting new career opportunity!

11 Likes

Hopefully not as an X-COM trained gambler. Otherwise you’d go broke when every bet with a 95% chance of success still failed.

7 Likes

Luckily X-COM training only covers how to send hapless rookies into 95% chance situations; so I won’t be going bankrupt; I’m just some sort of invisible management-entity.

7 Likes

Exactly.

I wonder about the colour of the object, for instance.
Octarine, mayhaps?

8 Likes

i’m still somewhat amazed that the military’s seemingly only capability is to shoot missles at unknown objects from fast flying fighter jets over us territory.

if there aren’t clear reconnaissance photos: i’m shocked

that they don’t have drones capable of taking down drones? that also seems improbable.

10 Likes

They had photos but time travel or something or other retrieved the photos.

It’s complicated.

12 Likes

Anyone thirsty?

9 Likes

Third, surely. One of them was brought down over Canada. So 4th in North America.

5 Likes

Didn’t Russian media complain about “where are our kites over Texas” or some such nonsense?

11 Likes

The Air Force can soon make up the numbers by shooting down a…

11 Likes
10 Likes

“Why are we suddenly being surveilled/intrusioned by so many ‘thingies’ all of a sudden!?”

“well, y’see, NORAD got tired off all the ‘false’ alarms, oh roughly during the Clinton administration, and turned off the “beep if something strange floats over” switch; and they kinda forgot it was off until the big white Chinese balloon… so, well you see how it’s going now that it’s been flipped back on…”

16 Likes

Oh, its probably aliens!

1 Like

Four in total shot down by US aircraft because the one shot down over Canada was also downed by a US fighter (although a Canadian fighter and other aircraft were also present).

1 Like

I keep fixating on how the missiles are detonated against balloons or other objects capable of hovering for days or even weeks.

With so little “there”, how does the missile trigger? Proximity sensors, inductive sensors, IR, must need some significant hardware to trigger?

Or can they be detonated by remote, perhaps the polite just eyeballs the timing?

3 Likes

Certainly the one over Canada.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Please don’t be offended. (Sticks pinky out to sip some Red Rose) :wink:

11 Likes