Fox News explains why Mr. Rogers was an "evil, evil man"

So not a thing but the reverence that people of a certain age hold for him certainly has crossed the pond i think so it takes real special kind of people to hate on him. Heck, even that trailer for the new documentary got me bleary eyed.

4 Likes

That’s definitely past the best-by date even for roadkill and twinkies.

1 Like

Why not? Who are you to dictate this site’s editorial policy?

7 Likes

Fox News,

how-dare-you-0n2r7u

6 Likes

has FoxNews changed since then?
No. So it’s not ancient history

7 Likes

Postage stamps are only issued honoring deceased persons - is that what you’re hoping for?

4 Likes

Tom Hanks is a Greek Orthodox Christian whom I greatly admire for some of the things he has done, especially his work in “Band of Brothers,” and with his charitable contributions to Pennsylvanian Major Richard Winter’s memory.

For Hanks to do a documentary about Mr. Rogers is appealing to me. Just like Charles Shultz, Rogers expressed the intersection between faith and humanism in a way that was distinctly Christian and a fading bit of old-school peacemaking.

Extra bit of trivia:

PIttsburgh has been an under-rated city. Fred Rogers worked in Pittsburgh, the same city where Andy Warhol originated.

IIRC, Warhol himself was a gay Lithuanian-Orthodox Christian who tended to be shy and always kept to his faith very devotedly, despite his art-crowd affectations. I understood Warhol’s art much better and more religiously after seeing it in montage back at the museum in Pittsburgh (he’s using iconographic inspiration BTW).

14 Likes

Yeah what idiots! I grew up watching Mr Rogers & I turned out just fine thank you

5 Likes

Not all villains wear capes, either.

1 Like

Fox ‘news’: “Also, Einstein was a moron and Florence Nightingale was a murderous bitch.”

6 Likes

The really hard part is that the best part of me – a part shaped by Fred Roger’s gentle example – knows that the only recourse for such hate-fueled conservatism is to counter it with principled love.

Hate is so easy. Strike out at the thing you dislike: a child’s response, masked, so often, with rhetoric meant to make it sound like a virtue.

Love is hard. Embrace the thing you fear: an adult’s response, articulated in the language of children by this dear hero.

11 Likes

I think it is to some degree because they realize this (if even only unconsciously) that they try to drag everyone else down to their level.

Maybe if they had listened to Mr. Rogers as kids, they’d be ok with being who they are (and letting others be just who they are), and would be worried less about what gay folks are doing in their own private bedrooms, who worships what god (or gods), and who has what junk and what bathroom they’re privately peeing in etc…

10 Likes

20 Likes

Not wrong. The pathetic jackasses at Faux News desperately pandering to the Alt-Reich even as Breitbart pulls them further into Bigot Land break down into two basic categories: those who were abused and believe abuse is Christian, and sociopaths who feel ashamed that they weren’t abused and are dead set on making sure they abuse the next generation of children.

6 Likes

No you just got old :wink: The older generation always says that the younger generation is less able than they were :smiley:

3 Likes

Meet the new neighbour in your neighbourhood.

7 Likes

Yes. I hold up Fred Rogers to my son as an example of doing Christianity right, so that he won’t paint all Christians with a broad brush.

9 Likes

“When you look at all the American students from Asian countries, who did not watch Mister Rogers…”

… right. Why is it then, that Europeans like me, who have until this moment never even heard of Mister Rogers [Children’s programs like that don’t travel well across language boundaries], aren’t simply wiping the floor with those poor Rogerized Americans?

I mean it’s one thing to have a discussion about the right balance between competition and “participation trophies” for children, but to blame it all on one person is ridiculous.

It did look to me like most of the participants in the discussions were perfectly aware of that and were just using that as a jumping-off point to discuss some issues.

Issues like “how important/beneficial/harmful is it to instill a desire to work hard in order to succeed in young people” vs. “how important/beneficial/harmful is it to instill a sense of self-worth independent of actual achievements”? Sure, let’s try to have both, but sometimes there will be a trade-off involved.

And, only touched upon in passing by one of the mailed-in opinions, “what does it take to finally get the assholes who still think it’s OK to spank a child to shut up?”

2 Likes
3 Likes

Here’s a better quality video of Mr. Rogers defending PBS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKy7ljRr0AA

1 Like