Fox News graphic: police killing and beating black people is good for the stock market

Maybe the reason conservatives are so obsessed with the stock market is because they’re still pining for the days when certain people were treated as livestock and sold at market.

10 Likes

You can’t put a price on human life.

…but, if you had to, here’s a handy chart to make it easier.

7 Likes

JFC, how can people not SEE how offensive that is…

tumblr_p16urk2qpZ1vaqoiqo1_400

The whole society is still generally run by racists…

18 Likes

Someone has already put that site up for sale for a measly $3500! Scoop it up now!

3 Likes

The stock market notwithstanding, I’m sure they’ve always at least vaguely wished for those days; so much control over human flesh and destinies.

As for right now though, they may still pin their hopes for a Trump November victory on a bull market (and on even more Russian interference).

2 Likes

:thinking: Apparently, people have been destroying the wrong antenna towers.

2 Likes

How many historical incidents did they discard in the process of synthesizing their racist bullshit survey? It’s certain that, this being Fox News, they only used the incidents after which the market improved. Pathetic, but Fox News viewers being Fox News viewers, it will undoubtedly be accepted uncritically.

#cherry-picking #racist-cherry-picking

6 Likes

I agree. This is the sort of thing that should be used in a class on cherry picking data to make a point- and even then it’s still racist. They could have used anything but for some reason decided to choose these specific points.

2 Likes

I guess this could theoretically be OK, depending where the choose-your-own-adventure script goes from there

Capitalism is racist.

If you conclude “therefore down with capitalism” turn to page 48.

If you conclude “therefore up with racism” turn to page 112.

8 Likes

I also want to see market movements compared with incidents of pirates and the pace of global warming

It makes just as much sense, I guess.

4 Likes

9n1nu

1 Like

no, no see. every time there are protests against police and racism the stock market goes up. fox news has got this all backwards again.

stocks go up, stocks go down. it takes market analysis and real research to determine why investors are betting certain ways en mass at certain times. not just random guess work, or bending it to fit an existing narrative.

it’s laughable enough that news outlets regularly ascribe motive to the movement of the dow day to day. but fox news? this is the same network who said that the coronavirus is nothing worse than the flu. repeatedly.

the only truly incredible thing to me is that their viewers still believe them.

5 Likes

Network of racists, hiding in plain view w/ juvenile plausible deniability. It’s the happy white dystopia of Fox News. Cue the Stepford wives and snappy drone-bot husbands. Oligarchs fap!

2 Likes

Same as it ever was. Even the largest slave auction house was merely retail. The real wholesale slave trading happened in those very stock markets, even where slavery was illegal: Bond issues of consolidated slave mortgages. (Many of those fine Southern gentry were probably in hock up to their eyebrows, to Northern banks, London, Paris… Something for a team of economic historians and forensic auditors to look into.)

6 Likes

For any Fox viewers who saw this and got some funny ideas, I would like to remind you that correlation does not equal causation. Also, shame on you!

2 Likes

“And now, a graphic for the Karens…”

Then they wonder why demonstrators & looters target Fox News vans and leave all the other stations alone.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Since we cut our cable teevee and went to ROKU, I have not looked at FOX. There’s no reason to do so.

2 Likes

Precisely this. Why is “one week after” a standard of any value? Why choose those four incidents over the other zillion? Someone worked very hard to pull that random noise out and make it look like data.

The point being, this isn’t even, “hey we’re just showing the data- not our fault it happens to look racist”. This is “we made up racist data because we wanted to show racist data”

8 Likes

Jim Cramer made some good points about the stock market rise.

The market doesn’t represent the overall economy, it represents big business. Big business has done very well during the pandemic at the expense of small businesses and employees.

Overall bankruptcies ballooned 48% in May compared to a year ago, yet only one company in the stock market has declared bankruptcy.
The pandemic has led to one of the greatest wealth transfers in history.

3 Likes