Fox News graphic: police killing and beating black people is good for the stock market

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/06/fox-news-graphic-police-killi.html

10 Likes

I feel numb to this sort of thing from Fox, now. Which is unfortunate on so many levels. I should be more outraged, but I don’t have the capacity to shift some of my other rage over to them.

19 Likes

Does that mean that the stock market is run by racists? I‘m not surprised that capitalists like it when resistance is discouraged through violence.

15 Likes

Fox News wants you to believe reality has dissolved into a chaotic tide of hot diarrhea, so you should just float there passively consuming like a jellyfish; and that acting like your existence still has meaning marks you as a naïve boob.

But they’re only saying that because they’re evil. The world still exists, and is more yours than theirs. In Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman wrote

I have heard what the talkers were talking . . . . the talk of the beginning and the end,
But I do not talk of the beginning or the end.

There was never any more inception than there is now,
Nor any more youth or age than there is now;
And will never be any more perfection than there is now,
Nor any more heaven or hell than there is now.

30 Likes

I do. This is pure evil.

7 Likes

Capitalism’s entire premise is to drive the cost of labor to zero which when dealing with human labor is a fancy way to say “slavery”.

So I’m gonna say hard yes to that.

24 Likes

“Historically there has been a disconnect between what investors focus on and what happens across the rest of the country”

No kidding.

11 Likes

It probably just means if you pick a random 1 week period the S&P increases 1-2%. The lack of context and supposed “posative” is the message.

8 Likes

In addition to this being a sad and shitty “study” aimed at making people feel better by somehow justifying their shitty thoughts, I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that this is not a rigorous statistical study, and if were you took all data, you’d find no correlation between violent racist actions and the stock market. Now, I haven’t done the deep research and I could be wrong, but to be frank I don’t want to know (there’s a bit of me afraid that there is a correlation).

5 Likes

And that’s bad for both the country and the investors, in the long run.

3 Likes

11 Likes

Another point that bears repeated yelling is that THERE IS NO REASON TO THINK FUCKING MARKETS ARE WISE.

The finance industry is not made up of unusually wise or well-informed individuals – it’s only a minority who even stand out as being good with numbers – and individuals don’t get smarter when they function as a herd. Even on purely economic questions, the movements of the Dow are probably a bit less informative, overall, than the entrails of a freshly-sacrificed goat.

18 Likes

I suspect that the target audience for this piece isn’t “investors” in the serious sense; but the (fairly significant) chunk of Fox viewership that has just enough 401k and anxiety about retirement to be watching the stock market like a HOA board member watches their neighbors’ lawns.

10 Likes

Yes, it is. And I’m glad you can react. And hopefully do something.

I propose a new name for this era: The Arendtian Period. There’s so much evil in the world that it’s mind-numbing.

Well, off to yet another protest.

2 Likes

I’d like to see one that correlates the market to when Fox had to fire someone or make a settlement for sexual harassment.

23 Likes

The next time someone says they watch and believe FOX news, I’ll show them this, and say to their face the network once calculated the profitability of murdering black people during a nationwide revolt over police brutality towards the same folks.

If this doesn’t cement in your mind that these people are not journalists, and that they are profiteering propagandists, then I don’t know what will

7 Likes

“See? Fox news ran a special report on how black lives matter!”

13 Likes

That’s dark man, too much.

2 Likes

I wish I had two heart symbols to click. (If this is a tear in my eye, why am I so happy?)

Usually I don’t say these kind of things because emotive response is meta- to the thread. (Don’t get me wrong, I know how to put the meta- to the thread.)

But you said it so well that I need to say something … okay, here we go:

@bobtato, you are hereby elected Heir to the Spirit of Walt Whitman. Astounding debut! Keep on truckin!”

3 Likes

move over Motleyfool and Robinhood to make way for Entrail.com live up to date entrail readings in hd by the minute. 21 percent more accurate then any data driven forecasts. try it now and get the competitive edge you need. add the market omens and stock ominous warnings add ons for only an extra 6 dollars and 66 cents.

5 Likes