Fox News lawyer tells a federal judge they know Tucker Carlson is full of đŸ’©

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/17/fox-news-tells-federal-judge-t.html

“What we’re talking about here, it’s not the front page of the New York Times. It’s ‘Tucker Carlson Tonight,’ which is a commentary show,” Fox News lawyer argued, defending lawsuit from Karen McDougal

5 Likes

Here’s a test: does any of Carlson’s target audience see the show as fiction or “just commentary”? Why is there no “any similarity to real persons living or dead” disclaimer before his show?

40 Likes

This isn’t a new defense for foxnews. O’Reilly beat slander lawsuits with a defense that basically amounted to that he lied constantly about everything so he couldn’t be held acountable for any one particular lie.

31 Likes

“Tucker Carlson has absolutely no obligation to investigate the truth of any statements before he makes them on his show, and his audience does not expect him to report facts.”

Adversarial guests on his show should memorize that quote and throw it back at him before he even asks them a single question.

50 Likes

Do not look to television to be informed. By its very nature, it is a source of entertainment and/or propaganda.

8 Likes

Oh what dangerous precedences some folks will set in defense of themselves.

6 Likes

I think some context might help understand what they are arguing. Mainstream journalists have for a couple of generations tried to distinguish between news and opinion/commentary (respectable newspapers don’t put opinion on the front page; they save it for the editorial page). Maybe journalists are going to arrive 35 years late to the postmodern party, but it’s hard to imagine maintaining with a straight face that such a distinction is advisable or feasible these days. That’s how you get NY Times headlines that say things like “President says to drink bleach for your health, some experts disagree.”

5 Likes

Fascinating that Fox is using the New York Times as the measure of actual journalism, as compared to the dreck they purvey.

21 Likes

Whew! For a second there I thought I would need to give up my Clorox and tonic.

7 Likes

I really hope the judge hangs them up by that claim and makes them defend every single word of propaganda horseshit he’s ever yelled at soft-headed older bigots to believe. And then I hope Carlson loses the case.

9 Likes

Since 1996 Fox ‘News’ has been doing nothing less than sowing FEAR and HATE in the minds of its watchers. Its all they do. They are pure evil with blonde highlights.

7 Likes

This happens any time Fox News is held to the fire for their stream of propaganda and lies. “We’re not a news show, we’re a talk show. What you are hearing is opinion. We are not claiming they are facts.”

Over and over again.

11 Likes

If it’s only entertainment, then ‘Fox News’ should be forced to remove the word “news” from their brand.

26 Likes

Fox’s attorneys are calling. Tucker Carlson the new pedo guy?

4 Likes

so distinguishing between news and opinion is not feasible these days?

Is that the news or is that your opinion?

3 Likes

He’s performance art. Like that Alex Jones “artist”.

10 Likes

I may not know art - but I know what I don’t like.

17 Likes

NY Times headline that says things “like” that? What’s the actual headline you think this is “like”?

1 Like

Sick the FTC on them for false advertising. If they are not in fact News, then they cannot advertise, mention, or display the word “News” on their channel.

If they do, in fact, identify their channel or programming using the word “News”, then that is a public claim that they are presenting News, so should be held to account for any lies or misrepresentations which appear in their programming. I’d say $1million fine for each offense. Jail time if they continue to spout falsehoods.

They present all their programming as facts, and claim repeatedly that they are saying facts while on the air, so there’s no way they can claim the opposite in court.

4 Likes

A federal judge already ruled the same about Rachel Maddow, so Tucker is in good company:

8 Likes