France bans use of meat words like "steak" and "sausage" on fake meat products

Clarity in food labeling is great. But that’s not what’s going on here. Plant-meats do not try to pass off as meat. At least not any I have ever seen. The entire marketing point is that they aren’t meat. They are also usually more expensive than meat. Consumer confusion on this is not high.

This is about propping up the meat industry. More people are going vegan or vegetarian. More people are just purposefully eating less meat. The economies of scale for the big meat industry don’t work if lots and lots of people are choosing no meat, less meat, or more humanely raised meat. So the meat giants pour money into getting governments to initiate labeling requirements. Their goal is to make consumers less likely to pick up the meat alternatives by making them less appealing and less easy to buy. A consumer can’t just reach for the plant sausage, clearly labeled as plant sausage (or banger!). Now they have to parse whatever weird name is used instead of sausage/banger

11 Likes

Why? The products aren’t trying to deceive anyone and it’s 100% obvious what it is and what is trying to approximate.

6 Likes

Also from the article

France companies that violate the new rules will be subjected to a maximum fine of “1,500 euros for a natural person and 7,500 euros for a legal person."

I think there might be a translation issue.

1 Like

I think we have similar laws in Germany.
For example vegan “Chicken” Nuggets are labelt as Rice Nuggets or vegan Fleischwurst (Fleisch is the german word for meat) is labled as “Vleischwurst”.
I think it is necessary to lable stuff corretly. I mean at the end of the day a vegan sausage is not a sausage. Sausages are an important part of german culture and I think there needs to be a differenciation between real sausage and that vegan cultural appropriation.

3 Likes

Probably not.
“Natural person” means a human. Though I have a hard time believing a sole proprietorship would be selling plant food products. Or any food products at scale
“Legal person” means a person under the law- companies and corporations

3 Likes

I comprehend the statement. It is still not a great translation.

It’s already been illegal to label non-dairy products “milk,” “cheese,” or “butter.”

Do they make an exception for the “fuck you, it’s butter!” class of margarine brands?

11 Likes

I always liked the “five stages of grief” version:

26 Likes

Why is no one concerned about hot dogs (which contain no dog meat at all) or chicken-fried steak (which contains no chicken)?

6 Likes

No one who has worked at Taco Bell (raises hand) is at all surprised that they use fillers and extenders in their meat-like products, just like the ‘hamburger patties’ and other meaty things in schools were substantially soy crumbles. They ought to say that it is beef with fillers, but I wouldn’t feel bad about using it in, say, chili.

2 Likes

Alternative Mktng

6 Likes

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/JORFTEXT000045978360

Art. 7. – Tout manquement aux dispositions de l’article 6 du présent décret est passible d’une amende administrative dont le montant ne peut excéder 1 500 euros pour une personne physique et 7 500 euros pour une personne morale.

3 Likes

“Falschwurst” would be a fun brand name :joy:

9 Likes

And guess how Google translate renders that

Aren’t those protected designations of origin, though?

DOC Mozzarella, made with real dioxin!

Google translate is trash. My unabridged collins robert translates “personne physique” as “natural person” and “personne morale” as “legal entity”.

6 Likes

Anyone who wasn’t paying enough attention to realize the clearly labeled “plant-based sausage” they were buying wasn’t made with pork would almost certainly make the same mistake with “chicken sausage,” yet products made from chicken meat are still allowed to use the term in their labeling.

8 Likes

Exactly, which is why I suspected a translation issue.

1 Like

i have literally never had this happen after years of working in grocery.

what does occasionally happen is people ask, tentatively, “is this meat?” or ( more frequently ) “is this vegan?” because they’re trying to find the meat free or animal free alternatives

dairy is a separate issue, and people do get confused sometimes. typically people thinking they’re buying a cow product when it’s not. partially i think because they’ve never considered there should or would be other options.

people will even return opened goat milk yogurt because it’s not cow. ( yeah, no worries. i’ll put that right back in the cooler. thanks /s )

7 Likes

Wait, South Africa banned the use of “nugget” for anything BUT chicken products? That fucking word existing BEFORE chicken nuggets did. You know, like gold nuggets. What a very strange and silly decision. I’m sure the chicken lobby paid plenty for it, though.

Coming soon to the United States conservative agenda…

9 Likes