France bans use of meat words like "steak" and "sausage" on fake meat products

As someone who eats both meat and plant-based substitutes, I second this. I have never been confused as to which of those I’m buying.

12 Likes

Coming soon to Taco Bell, the Seven Layer Bullshit Burrito.

7 Likes

Yup. At that point I have to assume someone is picking up a package that looks like sausage in a hurry without reading any of the words. No labeling will save you from not even reading the name of a product.

And I can’t imagine this happening more than accidentally buying diet soda or the wrong flavor of chips. Those are much easier mistakes to make.

10 Likes

Blech. Aspartame is my nemesis.
Accidentally buying diet anything is a gross mistake.

14 Likes

Basketball Wives Ugh GIF by VH1

11 Likes

My particular hatred is buying teas or hard teas/seltzers and then realizing after the fact they have either fake sugar or use some kind of natural sugar alternative. I loathe the aftertaste for all of those, but i feel bad returning stuff that will likely get trashed so i just whine to my SO while drinking it.

5 Likes

Betteridge’s law of interrogative brand names applies here.

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 22.12.46

13 Likes

I think they were being sarcastic. But seriously, non-dairy creamers have to call themselves “non-dairy creamers”, and high-fructose corn syrup can’t call themselves the more innocuous “corn sugar”. I approve that approach, and I like that Subway lost the right to call their rolls “bread” in Germany – too much sugar.

3 Likes

Only a matter of time.

1 Like

In other words, they get to keep the word “cream” in the name as long as they specify that they are not dairy-based.

5 Likes

I’ve never heard of most of these and you sparked great joy by sharing this. Largely because I read each one in Jackie Mason’s voice.

1 Like

Looks like my years of accidentally chugging down glasses of milk of magnesia are coming to an end.

9 Likes

Is that more or less a European thing (i.e., pushback against imported US products?)

Vegetarian rather than vegan, but the Glamorgan sausage is a traditional meatless sausage:

10 Likes

In France they have to call it “Ceci n’est pas un saucisson.”

12 Likes

Fun fact: “sausage” and “salad” both have the same ultimate etymology , Latin sal, “salt”.

9 Likes

I couldn’t stomach soy or almond ‘milk’ until a friend suggested I call it ‘almond drink’. One little mental game made the stuff instantly palatable.

That reminds me that I’ve been wondering for some time why bottles of dish detergent are now labeled “Dish Liquid”.

1 Like

My wife and I still get a chuckle out of the time she ordered chicken fried steak, and after the first bite she had a very confused look on her face. “Wait… I don’t think this is chicken?”

But good lord it was funny, not something that made us say “there oughtta be a law!”

And honestly people can just read the ingredients. People should read the ingredients. That’s why they are there! We made a law saying the ingredients have to be listed, and here we are 50 years later and it’s like “no, we’re still going to make you jump through that hoop but don’t want to have to read that, that’s too much work to take responsibility for our own purchases. I’m busy and I demand to be able to buy $100 worth of groceries in 5 minutes and I can’t do that if I have to look at what I’m actually buying!”

2 Likes

Vegetarian here. You have to go to a special section of the grocery, to products that are clearly labeled as plant based, cost easily twice as much as meat, and do not really resemble meat except maybe, maybe, in passing. I can’t see any way someone could mistakenly buy meat substitutes.

11 Likes