France to 15 year old girl: wear a shorter skirt or you can't get an education

[Permalink]

Yes, I posted this because Mr. Scott is my hero!

Hero in a skirt!

9 Likes

I am all in favor of a secular system but not one that insists the people must be secular as well.

24 Likes

When I was in middle school, the nuns chastised us girls because our skirts were too short. At lunch time, we ripped out the hems so that the skirt hung to mid calf. We were all sent home in the afternoon. There’s just no pleasing some folks.

7 Likes

#JePorteMaJupeCommeJeVeux

5 Likes

I’m a bit on the fence on this one.

Depends on the rules here. If the school dress code or country laws prohibit skirts of whatever length and that rule is applied to all girls evenly (regardless of particular religion or none), then work to get the rules changed for everyone if you feel it is wrong.

If you’re trying to get a religious exemption from the rules, you are in the wrong.
If the rules inhibit only people of certain religions, the rule is wrong. (ie, if a non-religious person wore the same clothing, would they be sent home too?)

The problem doesn’t have a clear right/wrong stance to it in my opinion. Also i feel that school uniforms are a good way to bypass problems such as these.

Edit: See following replies to this, things have been explained to me and i agree with them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

#JePorteMaJupeCommeJeVeux

9 Likes

I’m unsure how you can be on the fence on this. In what universe would any school have a rule that bans ankle-length skirts, but allows shorter ones?

The school didn’t cite any specific ban on ankle-length skirts, because the existance of such a rule would be moronic, so obviously it doesn’t exist. The school instead said that she was dressing too Muslim.

My mother went to school in an ankle-length skirt. I’m sure many of our mothers did…

Do you think there’s any chance of this happening if it were a white French girl wearing an ankle-length skirt?

11 Likes

Why are people so hung-up about clothing details anyway?

2 Likes

Apparently if there is one thing that unites the far left and the far right, it’s disdain for Islam.

6 Likes

And Kilts…

1 Like

Meanwhile in America the Republic of Texas…
Houston Area Public Schools Says Spaghetti Straps Too Risque on 5-Year-Old | Houston Press

7 Likes

Your final sentence is one of the points i was trying to get across.

Would a white(or whatever) girl wearing the same clothing get sent home as well?
If yes, the rule is fair, so campaign to get it changed for everyone if you feel it’s wrong.
If no, then the rule is discriminatory and should definitely be changed (religious exemptions to rules are equally bad as well)

The way the article is worded, i’m not entirely sure which of the two results has happened here…

But my final sentence was rhetorical, because we know full-well there is no chance of that happening.

The school did not ban her clothing because of any pre-existing rule about ankle-length skirts. The banned her clothing because it was a “conspicuous display of religion.”

Given that that was their reasoning, we’ve already established that this was about being Muslim.

6 Likes

The skirt wasn’t deemed inappropriate because it broke an existing school-wide regulation for length. It was deemed inappropriate because wearing modest clothing is part of what identified her as a Muslim. If she had been a non-religious person in the same skirt then it would have been fine because it wouldn’t have been “a conspicuous display of religion.”

3 Likes

Ah fair enough, i think i see what you mean now.
Conceding defeat here, for it seems i actually agree :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

Seems it was just me being a bit confused.

1 Like

And yet those church-sanctioned outfits, regardless of hemline, secretly turn on men of all ages ever since they were conceived.

1 Like

Those rainbow sprinkles also send the wrong message.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t last long there… I’d be too tempted to show up wearing bits of clothing identified with as many various religions as I could think of.

6 Likes