Francis Galton: wrong about eugenics, wrong about cake

[Permalink]

1 Like

Those sitcoms he wrote with Alan Simpson really stand the test of time, though.

And fondant is much better than frosting.

i just cover the cake with a dome if i have one, or otherwise use one piece of plastic wrap or foil over the whole thing. are the English really that horrified by the slightly harder texture of the exposed edge?

1 Like

You shut your fucking cake hole.

14 Likes

We really are, itā€™s just not on.

::watches video:: Rob, youā€™re truly one of us now!

Also, fondant is utterly inedible. Cake is a frosting delivery vehicle.

6 Likes

i have devised an American solution to your problem! simply apply extra frosting to the exposed edges before storing.

or: eat the entire cake at once. and the extra frosting too.

6 Likes

Really, I think all cake should just be covered with marzipan rather than any kind of icing.

4 Likes

Using the words ā€œI thinkā€ when referring to covering cake in fondant, shows me that you donā€™t really think at all.

2 Likes

As a construction material for ā€œcakes as sculptureā€ rather than ā€œcakes designed for human consumptionā€ maybe. Then again, you could say the same thing about Plasticene.

4 Likes

beschizza, you frighten the bejeezuz out of me sometimes.

3 Likes

Frosting is messy, insubstantial pointlessness. Genuinely, thereā€™s something I really like about marzipan and fondant layered on a fruit cake. When it comes to frosting Iā€™d rather just have plain cake.

Iā€™l take a good Dundee Cake or panforte over boring sponge cake slathered with cream cheese any day of the week. I just donā€™t see the appeal.

3 Likes

Tsk. This solution is like using scissors in origamiā€¦ practical perhaps, but not quite the spirit of the thing, what?

1 Like

fuck spirit eat cake

3 Likes

Just came in here to post:

Fondant sucks!
Fondant is for people who like to look at cakes, me, I like to eat them.

I need some cake.

1 Like

Pie is the superior pastry, none of this how do I cut it nonsense, just eat the whole thing and be done with it.

1 Like

This works for cake or pie.

2 Likes

#cameo #brand #synergy

1 Like

HMMM fondantā€¦ (homer simpson drooling noise)

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure that anybody here who has said ā€˜fondantā€™ actually knows what it is. Fondant is what you find poured over petit-fours or in the inside of a soft-centred ā€˜creamā€™ chocolate or a Cadburyā€™s Creme Egg. What I think you all mean is ā€˜royal icingā€™, found on the outside of the classic tiered wedding cake - a substance akin to sweet plaster of paris, made from icing sugar and egg white, which hardens to a tooth-breaking consistency. Fondant is soft and made by beating a boiled sugar and glucose solution.

2 Likes