Can you tell which fresh apple is really a cake? I couldn't

Originally published at: Can you tell which fresh apple is really a cake? I couldn't | Boing Boing

2 Likes

26 Likes

“…I weep, then realize to my own dawning horror that my tears are raspberry filling.”

19 Likes

“…the steel cake knife felt cold as it pierced my spongy interior, yet, as it was gently removed, I knew I needed no longer worry, for I was finally loved by somebody.”

11 Likes

I successfully flouted Betteridge’s law and called the fake apple. My extensive study (watching an entire season of “Is It Cake?” on Netflix) has clearly paid off.

6 Likes

The whole “is it cake” fad is so weird. But I guess it’s better than eating Tide Pods.

10 Likes

13 Likes

Wait, what… all this time I’ve been eating apples when there were cakes available?

12 Likes

It should really be called “is it fondant”, that barely edible not-icing cake coating that is what enables all these stunts. None of these stunt cakes end of being good to actually eat, as a result.

8 Likes

Can you tell which fresh apple is really a cake?

For a moment I had a flash to those “what constitutes a sandwich [is a burrito a sandwich]?” type charts, and in a moment of ontological madness declared, “it’s a trick question - all apples are cakes!”

I may need to have a little rest.

4 Likes

Horror movie pitch: a new remake of The Thing in which all the people in the research outpost have to prove they aren’t the alien by sticking themselves with a cake knife to show they are really made of meat.

7 Likes

I watched that Is it Cake show on netflix, and was pleasant surprised that almost no fondant was used… pretty much all of the bakers used modeling chocolate instead…

I don’t think I saw them use fondant once on that show, in fact… probably because part of the contest was taste.

8 Likes

He only cut the one - what if all 3 were cake and thus the similarity in comparison? The internet is making me cynical so many just for clicks camera tricks.

2 Likes

I’m really impressed by cake makers “shocking” chocolate together; welding it with a sprits of cold gas. I can’t watch the rest of the shows, however, as I get stressed out by the demand for perfection.

Edited to add negativity.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Is it Cake was surprisingly good, although it took a few episodes for the host to stop grating on me. Some of the work on there was shockingly good - the finale especially had some absolutely amazing work.

3 Likes

It turns out you can have your Tide Pods and eat them too…

5 Likes

Didn’t that whole ‘is it cake?’ show only work because they stood the contestants comically far away from the cakes?

It looked pretty obvious which ones were the cake, too.

Felt like some suspension of disbelief was required to enjoy it.

1 Like

The cake really is a lie. Huh. 0_o

4 Likes

That’s encouraging! Although apparently modelling chocolate is not great either- sort of the fondant of chocolate. The other popular trick is apparently Rice Krispie treats, because it’s voluminous but lightweight, so it allows a lot of physics-defying cake stunts.

If they are rating on taste though, that’s great. And hey, I like Rice Krispie treats. :grimacing:

5 Likes