Entire TV show just about cake fails

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/12/entire-tv-show-just-about-cake.html

2 Likes

I like the idea of a show that embraces people who are more creative than skilled; I hope that this is it.

The usual cake shows just stress me out with their addiction to perfection.

3 Likes

Wait, did the show fail, or just the headline?

(funny one here recently - https://boingboing.net/2017/10/31/headline-fail-kansas-students.html)
(a bunch more without the annoying gallery crap - http://everythingfunny.org/tag/headline-fails/)

“A-Rod goes deep…” LOLZ

6 Likes

How is this supposed to work? Do they ask bakers to epically fail, or do bakers save their best failed efforts and bring them to the show, or do people try their best but only get airtime if they “nailed it”, or what?
In general the pictures at Cake Wrecks have been contributed by the buyer, not the baker.

8 Likes

I watched the first few episodes and was disappointed. I loooove pinterest fails but the format and energy of this show just fell flat for me.

4 Likes

Hey, drawing faces is hard! This is why I am not an artist. I tried to draw a person.

1 Like

I presume this show is wholly unrelated to the originator of Cake Wrecks. I would ideally want the person that runs that site to be involved, she’s very witty and funny.

4 Likes

I didn’t watch the video but I ask, is there even such thing as a cake fail? If it has frosting on it, how can it fail?

6 Likes

This is the kind of hyper-specific long tail, low production cost content that makes Netflix great.

I was often left with the impression that so many of these fails come down to trying to use frosting in place of fondant. And certainly, I would much rather have something edible made with frosting than something pretty made with gummy, rapidly-hardening fondant.

1 Like

Depends on the quality of the fondant. I’ve had some nicely decorated cakes that used fondant and it was still on the soft side, however fondant just does nothing for me. It’s just there, and i much prefer icing since it can bring some flavor to complement a cake (as long as it’s not the cheap overly sweet kind, which i usually scrape off).

I don’t really like those cakes. As I understand it, it’s mostly sculpting Fondant, which doesn’t even taste good. I’d rather just have a regular cake cake with good frosting. Oh and those little sugar flowers and decorations. Love those.

2 Likes

It really looks forced.

Like the Bakers are all competing to see who can make the “funniest” bad version of a cake.

The one in the trailer has a princess face that seems too carefully crafted to look like a sock puppet doll from a Tim Burton film. Even the mouthline has a cross-hatch pattern to it that looks like “stitching” when it could have just been a simple line.

3 Likes

The original cake wrecks site (I have no idea but I assume this isn’t related or they would have used the name) would specifically refer to professional bakers who advertised cake designs and pictures of what they could deliver…followed by disastrous versions of them. So you’d get a baker promising a professional cake that would look nothing like it (because they lacked the skill to pull it off and essentially lied to their client) or would do dumb things, like write the cake decoration instructions ON THE CAKE AS A DECORATION.

It’s also worth noting that every Sunday, the blog would host (and may still, haven’t been in a while) pictures of spectacularly well done cakes by professional bakers as a counterpoint.
quick edit: Yes, they still do. Right now the page has some really amazing St. Patricks’ Day cakes for their Sunday post.

2 Likes

Strikes me as too scripted and produced. When failure is the goal it is as satisfying as Splenda. Feels like Trump ‘letting’ Obamacare ‘fail’.

1 Like

LOL, yes I have seen the website you mention, or photos from it. Funny as hell but then if I had ordered a cake expecting a professionally prepared baked product and received something completely different, then I would probably be unhappy. Cakes do fail. Sigh… it’s definitely a Monday.

1 Like

Oops, I answered my own posting thinking I was replying to you.

LOL, yes I have seen the website you mention, or photos from it. Funny as hell but then if I had ordered a cake expecting a professionally prepared baked product and received something completely different, then I would probably be unhappy. Cakes do fail. Sigh… it’s definitely a Monday.

I don’t get the Cake Wrecks website. I only see delightfully delectible cakes. I want to see the wrecks. I thought there were photos of advertised vs actual cakes? Maybe another website? Also, I see on their home page three babies riding carrots? Whats up with that? Haha.

I can’t watch them for the same reason I can’t watch the ‘Build a special house’ shows.
“Aah, why didn’t you measure it twice!?” :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I get all antsy when they have to move their tottering tower of shocked chocolate from their work area to the judges table. I just isn’t worth the stress for me. :wink:

1 Like