Great British Baking Show 2019 winner claims misleading editing on show

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/15/great-british-baking-show-2019.html

3 Likes

It’s called “Baking Show” in the states?! What’s wrong with “Bake-Off”? Does it have weed connotations?

10 Likes

I think we should put that genius kid on this show and teach him some life skills. If you can’t feed yourself, what’s the point of having that big brain?

2 Likes

In the States, the term “Bake-Off” is trademarked by Pillsbury. No joke.

33 Likes

Misleading editing? Come on. You imply something scandalous with that headline, this is not that.

29 Likes

Winner does sound a bit of a bellend.

hey man, you won. shut up, take the prize and be gracious. no need to piss on it for everyone else.

5 Likes

I guess the ‘misleading’ part was that the producers asked him to not muck around the kitchen for an hour after he finished his bake, so that when they edited it it wouldn’t look like he was finishing so far ahead of everyone all the time. Which, honestly, is understandable; every episode would have looked like he was running around and working at everyone’s station for over an hour. Filming/editing a reality show sometimes involves tweaking ‘reality’ so it’ll look real on camera.

6 Likes

There are a couple of handy euphemisms available with “Bake-Off”, but the whole trademark thing makes me want to tell Pillsbury to go Bake Itself.

6 Likes

There’s definitely a clue in the fact that “Bakers, you have one minute!” is invariably followed by five minutes of footage of people doing 20 minutes of work…

I’m definitely not a fan of that bit, but it’s pretty mild by “reality TV” standards.

24 Likes

I wonder, as the title of the show is “The Great British Bake-off”; can Pilsbury claim part copyright of the title? Or maybe, it is because Pilsbury weren’t willing to sponsor the show, and so the American network didn’t want to give them free advertising.

“Bake-off” is a common slang term for a very specific and unpleasant auto-erotic act in the States.

3 Likes

Please. This show is about the only wholesome, good thing left on the planet. Please don’t ruin it.

8 Likes

The great thing is that the “misleading” bit was just that they edited the show to make it look a bit more competitive, while the contestants were actually running around being nice and helping each other.

22 Likes

The sad/funny part is that even with this bit of fake drama, the vibe of the show is still 20 times more friendly, cheerful and collegial than its American counterparts.

12 Likes

You mean it’s a television show that compresses real events into the allotted amount of time? They don’t really bake three separate things in 47 minutes? I had no idea there were things happening I didn’t see! I feel so cheated! /sarcasm

4 Likes

Showing him baking for the crew is not the point of the show, and would have clearly created an impression among some viewers that he was trying to skew the results, and people would have slammed the show for being biased. They did him a favor.

2 Likes

What?! Do tell!

1 Like

(nah, I was just making that up in the hopes that people would have to ask themselves what the hell act I was talking about)

4 Likes

2 Likes