Great British Baking Show 2019 winner claims misleading editing on show

Ooh, Ahh, Oh, Poppin’ Fresh Dough!”. Heeee Heeee :snowman:

1 Like

Nope. They mean that they try to make it look like everyone is going right down to the wire, and that everyone finishes seconds before the bell, which is not the case.

2 Likes

That’s just human nature. We love to see the bomb defused with one second left on the clock.

I honestly though the headline “misleading editing” would be like the editing of American reality shows, where goods of material worth are planted, or orange businessmen pick winners based on personality and then they have to edit the show to make the other contestants look lazy and surly.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I’m always a bit peeved by the way they try to edit a bit of drama into shows that don’t need it.

There’s a great British show called Mastercrafts where three people learn a skill that’s relatively obscure these days (stonemasonry, weaving, thatching…) over a number of weeks and then compete against each other. Much as I loved the show I always thought they put far too much emphasis on human conflict when stonemasonry and so on are actually fascinating in themselves.

12 Likes

The show has really gone downhill since the pissing match with BBC caused the show runners to change networks and lose all their personalities aside from Paul Hollywood in the process. I just don’t find Sandi and Noel to be particularly funny or charming.

Equally annoying is the trend of technical challenges changing from being true skills challenges (bake a perfect soufflé or 20 perfect custard tartlets) to “let’s find some weird and esoteric regional baked good almost nobody has heard of and watch everybody struggle trying to figure out WTF they are making”.

2 Likes

I had the same thought. The Headline for the article is misleading. Editing in showbiz? Not.

5 Likes

I’m enjoying the outrage of a few commenters here defending teevee crowd pleasing tactics while at the same time criticizing BB for using clickbait-ish headlines.

Such fine distinctions . . .

7 Likes

For real for real? I don’t know if I’d watch the show without Noel. His weird, silly energy is a much needed foil to Paul’s creepin on the lady bakers.

This is one of the few reality shows I enjoy watching with Mrs. Arc. Worth It being the other.

2 Likes

Well duh, it’s “reality TV.” Of course there’s misleading editing. That’s what the format calls for, and always has. At least it’s not the American version, where they’d be editing in personal feuds and dramatic meltdowns.

1 Like

Mastercrafts sounds like a show I would watch, if I watched TV.

1 Like

I don’t mean to be a dick or anything, but what is the point of this post? There is nothing really controversial or interesting about the statements from the contestant.
Am I crazy?

5 Likes

Maybe he uses his big brain to just order food? If your brain is big enough, you can see how you can get people to cook for you in exchange for money.

2 Likes

“Bake-off” is a common slang term for

1 Like

ftfy.  

4 Likes

They could have edited it the other way. Show him cleaning his bench, hanging out with the crew, while everyone else works frantically.

And then he starts.

4 Likes

There are only six episodes and they’re findable on youtube if you’re interested…

When has Paul ever “creeped” on the lady bakers?

1 Like

Not all of us. I know it’s a competition and competitions need rules, but the time-crunch part of cooking shows is, by far, my least favourite bit. A ton of the best food needs time, so there are many creations you will never see on these sorts of shows.

2 Likes

You have to wonder what fraction of the audience would not watch if it weren’t for the competition elements.

Even the relatively nice “reality” shows seem feel obligated to have the “whose not coming back?” element. The same stern judging sequence with tense music, the same sappy good bye sequence.

You know what was a fun cooking show? Julia Child. And her spiritual children, make and female.

And there was the MAKE TV show, with John Park and various nerds, showing their projects.

Why, this one, of course:

3 Likes