The Great British Baking Show returns, Sept 25

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/17/the-great-british-baking-show.html

3 Likes

I really didn’t like Little Britain. I have my reservations about Matt Lucas.

3 Likes

If only they hadn’t left the BBC. then we’d still have Mel, Sue and Mary Berry.

7 Likes

No Mary Berry!? It will not be the same show without her.

2 Likes

Oh, thank gawd.

This show, and the inferior but still watchable Netflix show about people making desserts, is getting me through this stressful shit-show of a year.

I break up the episodes over three nights, so I don’t run out. I just finished watching a “technical challenge” where the eight remaining contestants made “tuiles.” Sweet little wafers. Some clods did well, and stars did poorly. Fascinating!

I also watch “Nailed It!,” which manages to find people who are likeable and not pitiable, but who are carefully chosen for being utterly inept at baking and cake decorating.

6 Likes

Exactly. Such incredible baking talent, and they are all very sweet and humble while also being ambitious with their creations. There’s no angry mentor throwing the cake across the room.

4 Likes

I despise Gordon Ramsey’s shtick. The whole angry asshole judgemental thing. I cannot understand how that stuff is popular. OTOH, I cannot understand why any sane person would vote for Trump.

11 Likes

The problem with Nailed It! is that even talented bakers would struggle with the challenges so the contestants are set for failure. The fantastic Ann Reardon has done at least one video showing the problem:

3 Likes

The show ain’t what it used to be - not just the incessant Amazon Alexa adverts on Channel 4; but that the producers have clearly said they want younger ‘quirkier’ contestants. Not to mention that the technical challenges have become insanely complex and the themed weeks are just weird these days.

It was nice whilst it lasted.

2 Likes

I wasn’t a fan either, but I did like Matt Lucas as Nardole in Dr Who.

Noel Fielding on the other hand is an international treasure.

6 Likes

It’s beautiful when one of the contestants is completely stressing out with a few minutes left and 1 or more come to their aid.

5 Likes

Amen.

7 Likes

Expect soggy bottoms.

4 Likes

Little Britain ended nearly 14 years ago (the main series, anyway; there’s been a few specials since). I think Matt Lucas has done a lot of growing up in that time.

And he was blooming brilliant as Nardole. Could just have been Comedy Bald Fat Guy, and ended up being so much more.

2 Likes

I’ve found this in reruns on PBS over the past months and am enjoying it immensely. I especially love Sue Perkins and the twisted comments she drops in (key party!).

It is truly a neat show with nice people and I feel invested in the contestants’ success and failure. I’m hooked!

3 Likes

Italic “Facebook” raises many interesting questions.

The Chicago Manual of Style prescribes Roman type for the names of “websites”, but italics for “publications”. That’s pretty standard practice, but it’s ambiguous in the case of, say, BoingBoing, which differs from the (generally italicised) New York Times only in that one happens to have a printed version and the other doesn’t.

Through that lens, italicising Facebook makes the political statement that it’s a publication, responsible for its toxic propaganda content. Which I don’t totally disagree with. Though “𝔉𝔞𝔠𝔢𝔟𝔬𝔬𝔨” or “F̵͌̔̅̕ͅa̴̙̪̿̀̃̚c̵͉̼̀̃̇ė̷̯̣͓̞b̸͕̺̞̜̓͝o̷̡̧͋ȯ̴̟̘̠̬ḳ̵͇͖͐” would also be options, if this is the idea.

Stylistically, the reason for italicised names is that it makes it less confusing to handle titles like Get Out or As You Like It, which might be hard to parse out from the surrounding text if we just treated them the same as personal names. But anything born as a website will have already solved this issue for you, by choosing a namey name like Facebook or Waxy or Polygon (and if nothing else can be called by its domain name). So “don’t italicise websites” seems like a foolproof default.

3 Likes

anyone know if there is a way to watch this day and date in the US? or else when will it come here. watching the past shows is so confusing…netflix has a lot but I can’t tell which season is which.

You can find most of the episodes on YouTube.

2 Likes

That seems to be his shtick for certain of his shows that I’ve never watched. I guess they’re about terrible restaurants or something? No interest in that.

I’ve only watched him in what seem like healthier settings, like his travelogue show Gordon’s Great Escape. He seemed surprisingly humble and respectful, given his reputation.

2 Likes

I might watch that.

Yes, the contest show and rescue-a-restaurant shows he hosts are angry-making.

1 Like