The Great British Baking Show returns, Sept 25

Manufactured drama is not my cup of tea. As it were. There’s enough drama in real life…

Have you ever watched these -

4 Likes

I will try.

I’m also enjoying The Repair Shop on Netflix.

4 Likes

A primer:

On Netfix, watch “The Beginning” first, because those are earlier seasons than the main GBBS collection.

1 Like

Nailed It! isn’t about good baking, it’s about laughing at spectacular failure. I feel as if everybody on the show is in on the joke, though so I don’t find it particularly mean spirited or anything.

OMG this. I recently rewatched the series on Netflix and I must say I find the earlier seasons’ technical challenges that, you know, actually gauge technical skill with things like making a perfect soufflé in a limited time, or make a dozen perfect donuts (all with very limited instructions) to be far more interesting. Not the “let’s pick some weird and/or totally obscure thing that none of the contestants have heard of and watch them try to blindly recreate it” that it became in later seasons.

1 Like

The original show lineup (except for Paul) has all been gone for several seasons sadly. It’s still an enjoyable show but I much prefer the original lineup.

The Master Class spin-off (also on Netflix) where Paul and Mary would recreate the dishes on the show was really fun with their constant but friendly jabs at one another.

2 Likes

Yeah, Nailed It! knows everybody will do spectacularly bad. They tell you from the start, in the capsule intros, that these are home bakers that want to be good, but are really pretty bad. And it’s one of the few game shows that aren’t super-competitive and mean-spirited. (Like The Floor is Lava. But I’ll admit I watch that for slapstick purposes.)

I will watch GBBS. I will give it a chance. It’ll depend on the chemistry between Noel and Matt.
I was OK when Mary was replaced by Prue, because I knew Prue from the Great British Menu (another cooking competition, high stress but low-key, and the chefs who compete are mostly friendly). I wasn’t sure about Noel & Sandi; I knew them separately but wasn’t sure about them together, but watching Sandi be amused by Noel was fun.

1 Like

I feel like most people on this thread like the OG cast better but I much prefer the more recent seasons. Maybe it is because I started at the end and worked backward. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Me too - I started with season seven and while I am gone back and watched multiple seasons of both new and old cast I find season seven was the absolute best. I mean… Rahul right?

3 Likes

if I baked something a quarter as good as Rahul I’d be prancing all around in the tent, and he continually looked like he was constipated. Love that guy.

1 Like

Spawn of Bake-off

And a cousin of

1 Like

Why did they change the shows name for the US?

Pillsbury owns the rights to “Bake Off” in the US.

6 Likes

They had to make the series during the UK covid lockdown so cast and crew all lived in a hotel for the duration. It will be interesting to see how that affects the ambience.

2 Likes

Given that Netflix seem incapable of not renaming things (why the f*** could they not leave it as ‘Bake-off’ and why they needed to change it to ‘Baking Show’ is beyond me - everybody here just calls it ‘Bake-off’) I am very surprised Netflix (or ‘Netflux’ as I shall now refer to them as) have not changed this to ‘The Repairing Things Show’

ETA @marence - ok - I get it now. Though surprised ‘bake-off’ is a claimable term. British Bake-Off and Pillsbury Bake-Off are pretty obviously very different things. Did Netflux change all the title sequences and credits and overdub all mentions of ‘bake-off’ uttered during the show? (possibly rhetorical question)

Still not sure Netflux won’t change the ones @timd mentioned to
The Great Pottery Making Show seeing as probably someone in US wrestling owns "throw down’
The Great British Sewing Show seeing as probably someone in US owns “bee” (probably whichever corporation runs spelling bees)

:wink:

3 Likes

bees

2 Likes

I will always answer rhetorical questions (ask my family):
Yes! I’ve seen both. Different opening credits - same baking video, same music, different titling.

1 Like

One wonders if the hosts are now briefed not to say ‘bake-off’ on camera and have to do retakes every time they forget.

2 Likes

That actually makes sense. I always assumed it was a misguided attempt to avoid a drug reference.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.