Great British Baking Show 2019 winner claims misleading editing on show

Watch the show, he is not your everyday Joe and a wonderful human being.

This. It’s a delight to watch and the backstories too. I really don’t care who wins, neither about the bakes, it simply gives my hope for humanity back.

I haven’t watched it since it migrated from BBC (and then only occasionally), I will give it a go.

That sounds good, thanks for the tip.
You might like the videos that James May (from Top Gear) has made of him putting things (back) together.

Or anything with Fred Dibnah.

2 Likes

The editing of the show is probably less misleading than the title of this post if we’re being honest. Editing in and of itself is misleading by this standard. Should they just post 100+ hrs of footage that they shoot for that show every week? The editing of that show is fantastic because they don’t go for over the top sensationalism or personal conflict. Showing a little drama as the other competitors finish their bakes is probably more realistic to what they were feeling than to what this one guy was feeling. Should the whole show be from his perspective? You’ve turned his humble brag into a non controversy about the editing. And yeah, I’m an editor.

2 Likes

Sequences including production crew are usually the first to go. For “reality” to work, the realities of our involvement in the process have to be obscured nearly as much as they are in narrative. And segments not affecting the outcome have always been edited from competition-style programming.

1 Like

I think they are distinct. There’s a difference between editing and wholesale making shit up.

Not quite as much as you, I’m afraid.

Don’t be afraid – this is the internet – nobody cares.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.