Franz Harary Produces a Marching Band

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/23/franz-harary-produces-a-marchi.html

1 Like

I’m even more impressed he got them playing Stravinsky. Have you ever tried marching in 7/8?

4 Likes

Many “marching bands,” including the one in this video, do not march and play at the same time. Eons ago, I know that Cornell’s marching band advertised itself as the only band (in the Ivy League? In all of college football? I can’t recall) that actually marched while playing.

I would have been a lot more impressed with this video if the camera had gone up into the stands for the illusion - as it was, it looked like all the band had to do was run into position while the tarp was being held up.

5 Likes

whose fame
Sorry to be that guy.

2 Likes

The trick so nice they did it twice?

6 Likes

Nice trick. (In before and Addedted Development quotes!)

Shadows are a pesky thing for magicians.

Even without shadows, I think your use of the word “bewildered” is a bit off.

They ran into place in 10 seconds?

2 Likes

So, by the time any “magician” passes on, I wonder how many people they’ve had sign a non-disclosure agreement?

1 Like

Two things that catch my attention…

He leads the camera around the near side, obscuring our view of our right, his left. I notice he doesn’t only pull on the tarp, but tests it to see if something solid is behind it.
Also, the huge swath of trodden grass behind the platform at 1:12 to 1:13. Even on a dry day it’s hard to hide the footpath of a couple of dozen people after a few practice runs.

2 Likes

And then played wind instruments?

2 Likes

OK; so from where did they run? And really, I’ve done it myself: running with a bass drum isn’t a bowl of cherries, trust me.

1 Like

10 seconds is a terribly long time. I once had to cross 15 yards, diagonally, carrying quads, in under 10 seconds. The cymbal players had to do it backwards.
Pick pretty much any point in this video, count to 10, and watch how far they can move

3 Likes

They start off to the right as he’s walking towards the platform. He passes in front of it, camera still focusing to the left, and they now move behind the blue banner and kneel down. So at this point, they are already on the field a few feet back from the platform. Banner goes up, they move into place, and there you go.

At least that’s my theory of how it was done. The only other thing I can imagine is they were hidden on the field under green mats that blended with the grass, but the camera angle seemed shallow enough I’d think we’d be able to see the bumps.

2 Likes

Good theory; but basically, it’s more clever camera tricks than illusion, right?

3 Likes

Oh, for sure. If they aren’t using fancy trap doors and mirrors, it’s all in the camera angles.

2 Likes

They dropped from a platform above, OBVIOUSLY.

3 Likes

Take another look at the tarp before it’s lifted into place. Look under the platform and above the tarp. I just don’t think the angles allow for a bunch of adults kneeling back there without being seen…

Ken Scott IS Franz Harary. Obviously. That’s the real magic.

So much mystery.

2 Likes

Mirrors

And smoke

1 Like

Thanks. Even greatly experienced writers should know better than to post material late at night that has not been reread in the morning!

3 Likes