Frat boys who posed with rifles in front of a shot-up civil rights memorial kicked out of frat

For anybody bemoaning today’s supposedly PC culture, in the 1980s the students might have even been expelled…

Today, nobody’s talking about putting these students on any kind of suspension or academic reprimand, we’re just talking about them losing their frat membership.

18 Likes

They have names. From the article:

The photo, which was obtained by the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting and ProPublica, shows an Ole Miss student named Ben LeClere holding a shotgun while standing in front of the bullet-pocked sign. His Kappa Alpha fraternity brother, John Lowe, squats below the sign.

I am quite comfortable with this article showing up in every Google search of the names Ben LeClere or John Lowe, by any prospective employer or partner, for years to come.

22 Likes

It’s just “boys will be boys”…“they come from good families”…“why ruin their career prospects for a youthful error”… always the same stupid justifications by other privileged white male twits for letting them off easy.

14 Likes

Well, there are Studentenverbindungen still in Germany, but they don’t use Greek letters. Also worth noting that they are rarer, and not even present at some universities.

6 Likes

Imagine the next class where one of these guys walk in.

Imagine the non-white students who have to put in the extra work to ignore publicly giggly Instagraming racists, just to get though the class.

It’s not even the guns; it’s the casually open support of racist thinking.

18 Likes

Christ, what a community of assholes.
Not sure what the collective name is for the species.

5 Likes

Suspended is not the same as kicked out.

6 Likes

Well, the collective noun for “wankers” is “fistful.”
Maybe "fistula of assholes"?

18 Likes

And they weren’t suspended from the college. Just the frat.

The college is taking no action against them at this point.

10 Likes

Why haven’t these shitbirds been expelled from school? It’s Ole Miss. Nothing has changed except the excuses from KA.

5 Likes

once again, the problem with the union army seems to have been not enough Shermans with not enough matches.

1 Like

Every time an incident there makes the news, this plays in my head:

10 Likes

I share your wish here, but are we really expecting Trump’s DOJ to prosecute white men for being racists? The irony meters across the country would explode!

2 Likes

7 Likes

I was in honor societies that also had Greek letters, but no foul behavior. This seems to be a bastardization of that.

I doubt that. Not only are they from Mississippi, the frat they’re in is the redneck frat. Not that I’m justifying the meritocracy or anything, but jobs like that go to people of supposed good breeding. They would never go to someone who’s the biggest redneck at the redneck frat at a state school in the deep South.

There are far too many John Lowes for me to be comfortable with this.

3 Likes

Trump’s Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division is going to investigate these boys? I am not particularly confident after all they meet Trump’s criteria for “Real Americans”. White check. Racist check Guns check. Nothing will happen.

Based upon MY personal collegiate experiences with fraternal organizations, a community of assholes is known as a “frat.”

6 Likes

Hah! I can name you two imbeciles that not only seem to have graduated college but went on to be president of the US.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Yeah, pretty far fetched hope on my part, but that’s pretty much all I’ve got these days.

2 Likes