French chef pleads Michelin to take away his 3 stars

Mr. Bells was asking some co-workers if they wanted to hit up a taco truck that was near his office. Someone said it had bad Yelp reviews, so he went and looked it up. The #1 complaint was “they don’t put cheese on their tacos”.

Seattle really does not understand Mexican food.

4 Likes

A gyro place opened down the street recently, and their Yelp page is a war-zone. Half of the reviews are 1-star tirades about how gross it is that they put french fries in the gyro, and the other half are 5-stars, praising them for putting fries in the gyros “like they do in Greece! So happy to get authentic gyros with fries here!”.

I have no idea if fries-in-a-gyro make it authentic or not, but apparently it ends up giving you a bad Yelp review from people who haven’t been to Greece.

Fair enough. it is hard advice to follow, not caring what other think. But very easy to give

I have had gyros both ways, and while I personally don’t like the fries in it, i have no idea if it’s authentic.

The actual worst, though, is that some places here will put ranch dressing in burritos. I am the whitest white to ever white and my reaction was “what is this white people bullshit?!”

3 Likes

Authentic Greek gyro? An as ex-Chicago area resident, I am cringing.

Can i call the UN to report a war crime?

1 Like

Are… gyros not Greek? I mean, I know they’re popular in Chicago and NYC, but they’re originally from Greece, and the word is Greek, yes?

Of all the possible motives, this surely can’t be it. 3 Michelin stars is the ultimate free advertising, guaranteed to attract a certain type of customer from around the world. He’s serving 500 covers a day at 3-star prices (tasting menus from 143 to 227 euros). Going by the website, it’s almost impossible to get a reservation – looks like one of those places where you have to pounce the moment they open a new block of dates.

My guess is that it really is the stress of the Michelin stars. They’re very effective free advertising, but maybe not the right kind of free advertising.

I am a bit surprised by the whinge that any given customer could be a Michelin inspector. So what? In my experience, the best restaurants are the best not only because they serve everyone the same great food, but because they give everyone the same excellent service. Treating everyone like they could be an influential critic sounds like a good idea for any restaurateur, especially in fine dining.

The modern meat-in-pita dish that we’ve come to love is a product of a Chicago area area restraunt owner and a Wisconsin meat processor. There are related foods that predate it.

They may have been mass-produced for the first time in Chicago, but the dish as it exists was not created in Chicago, according to Wikipedia.

I’m familiar with the Wikipedia page. The edit history is a bit revisionist, though. Regardless, I think we’ve wondered a bit too far OT.

Agent Mulder.

1 Like

That looks like the Traditional After Closing Time Doner Kebab to me; very popular among the drinking classes here in the UK.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.